whole hog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadow

Assistant Cook
just joined...and happy to be around some folks that love outdoor cooking.
every year we have a fall pig roast. I get the dressed hog and have it butterflied to rest on a frame that i made that is positioned over a brick pig pit that i built.
i normally cook it with charcoal and hickory chunks from the home depot.
has anyone did a pig using hickory logs? or other types of wood?
i am open for suggestions for those that have been successful in getting a true smoke flavor into their pig.
thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Shadow. I only have a WSM so I can't help you with your hog but I'm sure you'll find someone here that can help. Look for help from pigs (one of our members) or bigwheel. They will probably have the information you're looking for. Good luck.

Hickory can add nice flavor in small amounts. But not doing the whole cook with it. Much too stong (think of bacon). As a heat source oak, maple, cherry or fruit woods are better.

well you might want to make a burn barrell and just burn hickory wood down to coals, and keep
shoveling em under the pig till done. You'll get real old fashioned bbq that way. Nothing
wrong with charcoal and wood chunks though. I wouldn't have any concerns at all about
using hickory chunks the whole time.

Depending on the size of the hogger, I could get a 150lb hog done in about 10-12 hrs.
BUT I cook direct over lump and hickory. I would bank the coals more to the back and front weather it be "splayed" or on the rotisserie, with a little less than 20 lbs of lump and a few good size chunks of hickory and cherry wood. I always cook a tad on the hot side (275-300F) That is in 85-90F ambient temperature on a homemade pit. (that's mostly sliced) If you want to pull the whole thing, you have to go about 15-20 hrs. Ask the customer what they want. I have had customer's that want the whole thing pulled.

Pigs

Looks like the poor critter was in fashion. Seems to have her tramp stamp tatoos in place. Assuming there is one out of view on top of the plumber crack. Thats very stylish nowadays ya know.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom