Whole Chicken Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
I picked up fresh back attached, skin on whole chicken breasts on sale today $2/lb. ($4/lb for boneless skinless is a really good price around here)

11lbs of it is on the WSM right now and I can't wait for dinner! They are being smoked over Maple Leaf lump and maple wood, around 250F with water in the pan.

I just used maple and chicken together for the first time earlier this week and everybody loved it. I did those 4 whole birds around 350F with no water pan and I thought the chicken dripping smoke was a bit much (too strong).

The breasts were plopped on the WSM after trimming a bit of fat and dangly skin. Temp reading is 140F internal right now ... I think I'm going to brush with butter, then when they hit 160F put them skin down on the grill to finish them off.

They are cooking pretty quickly. Has anybody tried brining these things? Did it make much difference that you could tell?

Oh yeah Shawn, I know what you are talking about with the maple / chicken combo. It works really well! Sounds great! WM

They turned out really well, I will do them this way again for sure. Gonna go buy some more and FS for the price they are. No fighting over the white meat tonight :grin:

About two hours on the smoker, removed at 155F internal, then brushed with a melted butter/EVOO mix ... grilled 5 - 10 minutes.

Mmmm smoked chicken salad sammies tomorrow :D

WCB1.jpg

WCB2.jpg

WCB3.jpg

They look really good!

On brining:
I always brine them--makes a big difference to me. However I don't do them at low temps; the difference might be less in that case. At the temps I use (400+) brining helps them stay juicy and widens the doneness window. I often use full-flavored brines with breasts, and frequently a thin veneer of glaze at finish.

I did spme brined whole chicken an somked them I did noties a big diffinece to the taste of the chicken.

Hear is a picture.

Back
Top Bottom