Whole Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Personally, I'd use lump charcoal, boiled chicken is pretty bland. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What Jeff said ~ I think you're better off cooking chicken at between 325 and 350°..Water in the pan will try to hold the pit temp down in the low to mid 200's.

Yep, I don't do that much chicken in the WSM, but the stuff I've done I have always used an empty foiled pan and cooked at higher temps. I've never done a chicken cook in the WSM without the pan, that's coming though, just to see if I can get the sking to where I like it.

I much prefer chicken done in the kettle, indirect, wood added and then crisp up the skin when it's done. If I do a whole chicken it always gets done on the rotiss.

I would guess about an 1 1/2 hours, but don't quote me on that, maybe someone else who has more experience can chime in on the time.

Let me check something and I'll get right back to you.

I checked over on TVWB and Keri C had done some half chickens once at higher temps, but she wascloser to 375 and they took her 45 minutes to get to 170 degrees.

So 325-350, that timing should be pretty close, I would check temps at the one hour mark and go from there.

Steve Z said:
Just wanted to let you guys know that the chicken turned out great. I cooked it with lump charcoal and threw in 2 chunks of Apple wood. I coated it with evoo and put some poultry seasoning on it . I put the water pan in and lined with foil (no water). Cooked between 325 and 350 for about an hour and half. This was by far some of the best chicken I ever had =P~

Thanks for all your help :(

Damn, we'z good!!

Steve, glad it turned out good. Everything okay over in Opal? I heard the Volunteer Fire Horns going off last night! BTW, nice avatar except the guy in the tractor! 8-[

Back
Top Bottom