White Oak Kindling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonM1

Assistant Cook
Hello all

I was in my local Liquor Store last night and they are selling bundles of white oak Kindling. What struck me was that they resembled the approximate size that someone here had used turning their small offset into a "stick burner"

My questions are:

Has anyone else tried it with good results? bad results?

Is "white Oak a descent choice of wood to try this with?

Thanks

Jon

Ive used oak in the past with good results. Prob my fav. wood for my stick burner. Burns hot and to me is a deep but mild flavor...

Many people think that between the two; red and white oak, that white oak is the best to use.

When not burning lump, oak is the way I go. (Cause it's cheap here). I've been know to add some oak to lump during a cook. Can't go wrong with it unless it's been dipped in something.

I have been using white oak here for quite a while. They call it "Live Oak" around here. I like the flavor it imparts. I agree that it is fairly mild. I every once and a while get a bit of red oak from a stand in Okeechobee. I like that flavor better it is a bit stronger. Of course it may be just because it is harder for me to get and that is why it tastes better! 8)

Green Hornet said:
I have been using white oak here for quite a while. They call it "Live Oak" around here. I like the flavor it imparts. I agree that it is fairly mild. I every once and a while get a bit of red oak from a stand in Okeechobee. I like that flavor better it is a bit stronger. Of course it may be just because it is harder for me to get and that is why it tastes better! 8)

Pin oaks from your area are good...but nuthin like a good Blackjack oak cooked piece of meat...MMMMMMMMMMM

I agree with the difference between White and Live Oak. Totally different woods. I have a buddy from Texas, and he grew up using Live Oak. I grew up in NC and used a lot of White Oak and Hickory. I gave him some White Oak to use, and he said it didn't taste any thing like what Live Oak does.

I personally keep a larger stock of White Oak than Hickory. Love the mellow flavor it imparts, and it burns long also.

Tim

cleglue said:
Green Hornet,

I grew up in New Orleans and this is what a live oak looks like there.

http://www.louisianagardenclubs.org/ima ... atburk.jpg

Here is North Carolina the white oaks look nothing like the New Orleans live oak.

White oaks here look something like this.

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/ ... e/tree.jpg

I do use white oak for smoking and making lump charcoal.

I have the one seen in the bottom pic in my yard. That is what I have been burning. I have not seen anything likke the Louisiana tree in my area. If that is a live oak then I have been calling my trees by the wrong name for years. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom