White Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbquzz

Master Chef
Practice...Practice...Practice... Before I move on to brisket and more I'm working on getting better at ribs. With the white death coming from the west I thought this would be the time to get indoctrinated to year around smoking. Put these on at 7AM, cut them and rubbed them with Wolfe Rub Original yesterday, we'll see how my bride rates them tonight.

Notice NO meat probe and I will use the "Crack Test," I am learning. More tonight.

Hardcore bbquzz :D
I like your style.
Those ribs will taste even
better cooked up in the
white death :P

8)

Learning ...Learning ...Learning ... One more time and I may feel better about my ribs. Last cook it took 8-10 hours. Today 7:15 am - 1:15 pm, but they were probably ready at 12:15 pm. More than once I've heard if you are lookin' you are not cookin' so I didn't look for 6 hours ... maybe I'll adopt a 2 or 3 hour look in and check. I did eat the one bone I cut off for the picture and it was okay, a little dry, but okay. For the record the WSM ran at 218 for the entire time did not vary 5° the entire time, outside temperature has been about 23° all day. I'm letting it run just to see how long it will hold that temperature.

Looks good from here. :)

Did you "wrap" the ribs at all? I'm referring to the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil (spray with apple juice or put pats of butter on top and some more rub) and 1 hour back out of the foil to "firm up". The times are guidelines of course and the ultimate done factor is the bend test. Regardless, looks like you did good from here. And I'm sure you had fun too.

Shores said:
Looks good from here. :)

Did you "wrap" the ribs at all? I'm referring to the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil (spray with apple juice or put pats of butter on top and some more rub) and 1 hour back out of the foil to "firm up". The times are guidelines of course and the ultimate done factor is the bend test. Regardless, looks like you did good from here. And I'm sure you had fun too.

I have done that, but did not this time. I have used an attachment called a Smokenator in a OTG and it will not maintain temperatures like the WSM and I have found the 321 method helped in this situation. I think my problem today is just I need to check 2 or 3 hours in and every 2 or 3 hours.

Sounds like you're getting it figured out! And, I'm sure there will be several more racks of ribs to practice on too. Once again, nice work and thanks for posting the pics. 8)

BBQ Guru, CyberQ II, it helps a novice like myself maintain a consistent temperature. BTW it sound like we both had the same problem today, my ribs finished up before I was ready and the same with your brisket ... Must be the cold weather.

bbquzz said:
BBQ Guru, CyberQ II, it helps a novice like myself maintain a consistent temperature. BTW it sound like we both had the same problem today, my ribs finished up before I was ready and the same with your brisket ... Must be the cold weather.

Thats neet little gadget. I hope its just the cold weather and not me!! :D

bbquzz said:
Learning ...Learning ...Learning ... One more time and I may feel better about my ribs. Last cook it took 8-10 hours. Today 7:15 am - 1:15 pm, but they were probably ready at 12:15 pm. More than once I've heard if you are lookin' you are not cookin' so I didn't look for 6 hours ... maybe I'll adopt a 2 or 3 hour look in and check. I did eat the one bone I cut off for the picture and it was okay, a little dry, but okay. For the record the WSM ran at 218 for the entire time did not vary 5° the entire time, outside temperature has been about 23° all day. I'm letting it run just to see how long it will hold that temperature.

you might try to run a little hotter than 218.. that is why your ribs were a bit dry...try 275 next time and see if you like the texture with that temp

Just my $.02 here but the wsm i dont think needs any fancy electronic stuff.....Mine runs 225* all day long....(generally) and never gets above 240/250*...Definatly wrap them at 2/3 or 4 hour mark...... $.02 db

Back
Top Bottom