which temp would you believe/ trust?? advice for a noob.... - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Pork Butt

which temp would you believe/ trust?? advice for a noob....

first of all thanks for the warm welcome here. anyway I got a chargriller super pro. I have read about the thermometer not being accurate because it is too high and will read higher than what the actual temp is. so instead of doing the mod for the placement of the thermometer I ordered a Maverick.

anyway it's not here yet so I bought a trutemp oven dial thermometer to use on the grate until I get the maverick.

so yesterday and lastnight I fired up the smoker just to burn off the greese and "season it". I thought this would be a good chance to try and get it to temp etc before I do my first smoke on monday.

I got a pretty good fire going and the highest temp the internal therm got to was about 250-275 while the oven therm would read much higher than that at around 300 +. once I got the temp down there was still always a difference of close to 50 degrees or so. now from all I've read I expected there to be a difference but I expected the internal therm to be higher not much lower than the one on the grate.

so which is closer or correct?? my gut tells me the oven therm since it's on the grate but it seems odd that the internal would be so far below.

my home oven is less than reliable to use it as reference as it heats very uneven and un accurate. I think I'll buy another (different brand) oven therm and compare the two. I hope they are the same

gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #2

First do the boiling water test...water boils at 212* to make sure how accurate the threms are.....on my pit...my dome therm is about 25* hotter than the grate temp...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
Pork Butt

should have mentioned I thought about doing that. I assume it's safe to put the glass in boiling water. do you pull the boiling water off and then put the therm in or put it directly into boiling h20??
Old 01-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Wizard of Que

This link may be helpful:
http://bbq.yyyz.net/FAQ_dome_thermometer.asp

The boiling point where I'm at is about 200*
DATsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #5
Pork Butt

thanks for the link. my internal term doesn't even have the needle. just the round thing inserted in the hole.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
Wizard of Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon
thanks for the link. my internal term doesn't even have the needle. just the round thing inserted in the hole.
Well, I'd take it off the pit. Boil some H20, stick the probe end of the thermometer into the boiling water and see what it reads. Use the link to find your boiling point (sounded bad). If they agree, the thermometer is ok. If it is off, it should have a nut behind the face to adjust it.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
Saint O'Que

Gordon,

If you have one of those plain oven thermometers I'm not sure how to calibrate it. I don't think they can be baptized.
cleglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Pork Butt

now I'm more confused

both read a little over 200 in boiling h20 so why/how would the temp at the grate be so much higher than at the top of the dome? heat rises so this makes no sense. gonna make for a interesting first smoke and damn the baby backs I bought today look good.

Quote:
If you have one of those plain oven thermometers I'm not sure how to calibrate it. I don't think they can be baptized.
it worked fine. not sure if it'll work again now that there is h20 in it it was only $5 or so.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark

Quote:
now I'm more confused

both read a little over 200 in boiling h20 so why/how would the temp at the grate be so much higher than at the top of the dome? heat rises so this makes no sense. gonna make for a interesting first smoke and damn the baby backs I bought today look good.

Quote:
it worked fine. not sure if it'll work again now that there is h20 in it it was only $5 or so.
Let us all not forget about the "above sea level" thing. As far as the boiling water test
Old 01-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
Wizard of Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puff
Quote:
now I'm more confused

Quote:
Let us all not forget about the "above sea level" thing. As far as the boiling water test
Assuming both registered the same temp on the boiling water test, it is a bit perplexing that the dome meter is 50 less that the grate meter. Could the grate meter be in contact with metal vs the ambient air? Could the heated smoke/air be escaping causing a back wash effect?

Don't know those answers. If it were an egg, I'd have better info for you.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #11
Pork Butt

I guess I'm just gonna wing it. I figure a case of PBR should help and keep the "temps" around or below 225-250 and I'll be alright
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #12

I bet they are both reading right on. Make sure the probes aren't touching the grate.

Do all of the mods, especially the grate level exhaust mod. They will make a hugh difference.

Chargrillers are like manual typewriters. Once you learn on it, everything else will seem easy.

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=5179

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=5316

Better exhaust set up on this thread
http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=15
Old 01-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #13

I couldn't agree with you more Cliff....when is your wsm coming...

I get more sauced then my Ribs

My Bark is as good as my Bite!

Swine so fine it's Criminal

Never trust a skinny cook!!!!!!!!
wittdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittdog
I couldn't agree with you more Cliff....when is your wsm coming...
Could take two week but I put a call into the CEO of Lowe's.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM   #15
Pork Butt

I did the baffle mod and exhaust mod. gonna tweak them a bit before I fire it up.

Quote:
where did you have the over therm placed? its normal in a offset to have higher temps near the firebox and also near the smokestack.
I had it right in the middle front right by the handle.

Quote:
I bet they are both reading right on. Make sure the probes aren't touching the grate.
there really aren't "probes". it's just a little round term made to sit on or hang from oven racks.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
Wizard of Que

Quote:
I did the baffle mod and exhaust mod. gonna tweak them a bit before I fire it up.

Quote:
where did you have the over therm placed? its normal in a offset to have higher temps near the firebox and also near the smokestack.
I had it right in the middle front right by the handle.

[quote:1t04gvgi]
there really aren't "probes". it's just a little round term made to sit on or hang from oven racks.[/quote:1t04gvgi]

Well don't do what I did. Took the thermometer off Einstein and stuck the probe through a tater and stuck in inside an offset Kingfisher. About baked half the numbers off the paper dial under the glass
Old 01-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #17

My opinion is that the chargriller is to small and light weight to burn with wood alone. I had much better luck after making a charcoal basket and using the Minion Method and wood chunks. I also leave the exhaust vent wide open.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
Graduate of BBQ Central

Place the palm of your hand on the dome of the cooker if you can hold it there for a 3 count you are cooking in the 225 to 250 range. If you can only hold it there for a 1 or 2 count the cooker is too hot. A count of 4 or longer means you need more heat.

When you use more than one therm you are playing a game with the devil.