Which rub on my first Boston butt..?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1

Senior Cook
Since I've been bit by the BBQ bug I have never done a Boston butt... Now the UDS is finished, I think I'm going to throw a butt on this weekend. I recently bought the Wolfe rub recipes and made all three. I tested two of them on chicken last week, but have no idea how that would translate to pork... Any suggestions from everyone here..?!? Thank you in advance....

Jester

Hi Jester. I just did 5 Butts (see the pics going up soon...). I did:

Bottom open 1 = Zatarains & Wolfe Citrus & apple juice injection
Bottom open 2 = Zatarains & Wolfe Original & apple juice injection
Bottom 3 = Zatarains & Wolfe Original & apple juice injection

Top 1 = Zatarains & Wolfe Bold & apple juice injection
Top 2 = Zatarains & Wolfe Original & apple juice injection

18 pounds total.
Lump charcoal in my WSM 18.
Goal 200'F, took all off when top one hit 200 (8 hours). Foiled for an hour. I'm eating it now. Fantastic. All of them.

Zatarains makes them saltier. Bold I find a bit strong at times. Citrus is first time, and I like it. Not too overpowering. I'd say start with Original, move to Bold, then try Citrus. Chicken doesn't translate the same.

Cheers

If I'm the one doing the eating this is my favorite.

Southern Succor Rub (originally from the book Smoke and Spice or the first place I ever seen it any way). I like to tweak it up with a little lemon peppa. Brown sugar seems to work about as well as the turbinado called for in the recipe. Turbinado poses as Sugar in the Raw from Wally World.

1/2 c Ground black pepper
1/2 c Paprika
1/2 c Turbinado sugar
1/4 c Salt
4 ts Dry mustard
2 ts Cayenne

bigwheel

I found the Bold to be a bit strong for brisket as well. Either that or I put on too much. The spice creeps up on ya as you eat.

I think I'm going to go for the Wolfe Original this time. The weather here has got kinda bad, so hopefully I can still get the but on in the morning...

BeeRich said:
How big is the butt? She won't take long.

Its 8 pounds... How much time should I expect..?!? Debating on the temp too...

I injected it a few hours ago... Got the basket full and ready for in the morning. I'm going to rub and let it sit while waiting for the smoker to come to temp... Can I use the juices that are on the butt for the rub to stick. Should I use mustard or worcestershire..??

OK she's a big butt. Twice the size of mine. Low and slow at 230 should do the trick. Take her up to 200 then wrap in foil and then towels/cooler for an hour. Put her on the top cooking rack, and don't peek. Mine took 8 hours, so you should be in that range. I am assuming there's nothing else going in the unit? You should be around 8 hours. Make sure the thermometer isn't near the bone, and in a good depth into the meat.

BeeRich said:
OK she's a big butt. Twice the size of mine. Low and slow at 230 should do the trick. Take her up to 200 then wrap in foil and then towels/cooler for an hour. Put her on the top cooking rack, and don't peek. Mine took 8 hours, so you should be in that range. I am assuming there's nothing else going in the unit? You should be around 8 hours. Make sure the thermometer isn't near the bone, and in a good depth into the meat.

Whats funny is I couldn't find anything smaller than that... They were on sale and i dug through the cooler for 20 minutes. Hahahaa

Nothing else is going on there with the butt... I was planning on starting the UDS up around 4am and hoping to have it on by 4:30-5:00am.

I think if you can get it on then, you might be eating it for lunch. Why so early? Something that big isn't going to take 12 hours. I had 18 pounds of meat in my WSM, all butts, and they were finished in 8.

BeeRich said:
I think if you can get it on then, you might be eating it for lunch. Why so early? Something that big isn't going to take 12 hours. I had 18 pounds of meat in my WSM, all butts, and they were finished in 8.

What temp do you cook at..??

I heard that I should estimate about 1.5 hours per pound... which would put me at 12 hours. I would love to sleep in a little more, so hopefully you can enlighten me here. Hahahaha...

I aimed for 230, ended up 240. 8 hours for 18 pounds is < 30 minutes per pound. Get a wireless alarm and set it for 197.

BeeRich: you're probably right thus may be more of a late lunch early dinner meal... Hahaaa... I just put the butt on the UDS, so it was a little later than I had originally planned. With this beingy first butt and having people over I'd rather be safe...

Rubbed and ready...
img_216177_0_ab8f2cbc79ad948b48a11c258af50131.jpg

This is your first butt, or your first use of the smoker? I'd wake up in 4 hours to take a look and plot the increase in meat temperature and smoker temperatures.

BeeRich said:
This is your first butt, or your first use of the smoker? I'd wake up in 4 hours to take a look and plot the increase in meat temperature and smoker temperatures.

This is my first butt on the smoker... and only the 5th or 6th use of my UDS. I was using a weber kettle for the past year before I built my UDS.

I just woke back up and checked the temps... The UDS is still holding a rock steady 225. The butt was 41 degrees when I put it on and is now 165 degrees... I think you were definitely right BeeRich, unless it plateaus for a long time... hahahaa

Back
Top Bottom