Where do you get your meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koopdaddy

Senior Cook
Do any of you order meats online and have them delivered?

I ask simply because of the lack of butchers in the area. We have the chain groceries and I have been trying to find a place that has a good selection of quality meats.

Any suggestions?

I do not even try to do one stop meat chopping. I know where to go when I need whut. Mail order raw meat for bbq could get cost prohibitive real quick. What is it your looking for which cant be found locally? How far are you from the nearest Sams? Walmart? Who is your local wholesale grocery distributor? Do you have any pals in the restaurant or C-store bizness who might buy stuff off the wholesaler? Thanks.

bigwheel

Sams Club and Costco have pretty good meats. The problem with mail order is you don't get to see the meat they are sending you before you purchase it.

I pretty much shop at Costco/Sams and local Safeway. I was just curious if people did order online. It is not something I would do for everyday eating, I just want to find somewhere that I can get high quality meats for the special occasions and such.

There is a Whole Paycheck not too far that I go to sometimes for something specific.

Let me take this opportunity to get on my soap box and rant.

Went to local Kroger, asked for brisket...he said the only ones they have are the ones in the case...that he trimmed 100% of fat off of. So I started looking around and saw T-bones. They were cut so terribly that about 1.5 oz of filet were left and all the rest was strip. Of course beef ribs would have been a fantasy as some of them looked like the bones were chipped from the scraping...

Left and went to walmart, FAR FAR WORSE. Nearly every cut of meat here was discolored, cut to rip you off, etc...and the "butcher" here was such a dumbass that he didnt know what I was talking about when I asked for a brisket...he tried to sell me a flank steak instead saying it was the same.

Aside: I was pissed, but had seen a welder in another walmart and am in need for the UDS- I went looking for one in my local walmart and couldnt find it-asked employee with 3 teeth and unibrow who says it would be in "stationary"...the hardware employee didnt know what a welder ever was!

That said, I am going to begin to scour my area for people who are at least competent while selling me an inferior product. Yellow pages say there are a few butcher shops around, I am going to check them out.

Rant over.

Sam's Club. I've been to a butcher or two, but the price is better at Sam's and the meat is the same in my opinion. Restaurant Depot has good stuff and prices as well.

I would never order online. Too expensive for my taste. BJ's always has everything I want, from butts to ribs, chicken to chuck roast and all kinds of good steaks, chops, brisket flats (I don't do packers as we don't eat the point). I tried getting in to Restaurant Depot once, but they threw me out on my butt.

Back
Top Bottom