when to add smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are times when I have to start something in the roaster because of time constraints. Like if I need to have meat on at 3 am in order to have it ready for dinner. Then I will put it on the smoker at around 7 when I have woken up - with three boys under 4 I need all the sleep I can get! To be honest, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the smoke ring. Certainly not enough to lose sleep over ;)

For my personal use, I think the most important aspect of the smoke is the seasoning -not the appearance. For that reason I usually don't have the meat on smoke for the whole cook anyway.

Experiment for yourself and take notes. You might stumble across something you like!

However, all things being equal I cook with smoke at the beginning.

$.02

Smoke has nothing to do with the formation of the smoke ring,
which is why certified judges are taught to ignore it.

That said, add the smoke at the beginning. I don't mind my ribs
not having much smoke after the foil process because they are so
thin, but butts get all the smoke they want.
You can oversmoke, and I have, but butts are forgiving because
they are so thick.
Chicken parts oversmoke easily, be careful with them.

Could you say more?

I'll say leave the sand in the sandbox and make sure you have moisture in your WSM for a nice deep chemicalreactionmoisturering. :LOL:

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":js3ggnq4]this is a pork butt I gassed in very cold weather....no wood whatsoever.

Who would do such a thing ?

Smoke rings are over rated but everyone wants one.[/quote:js3ggnq4]

it was for a vending gig, just wanted to quickly cook a hundred
pounds of butts.

Well it took me awhile to figure out the lack of a smokering in my meat while cooking in a BGE,,then i got thinking that if i add a paella pan standing on the 3 little ceramic feet on the setter and add liquid i'd get a ring,and i did.Makes no difference in taste but always looked lacking compared to the offset.
I know about adding cold meat but is that really a good idea? i mean you season the meat to perfumage it,and if it's cold the seasoning isn't really seasoning the meat,or something like that.

Only time i place any seasoned meat in the fridge is brisket, and i make sure it goes on the cooker after sitting around for at least an hour out of the fridge,please don't tell me to inject with apple/grape juice.. ':P' .only weber that cooks properly is a kettle so i don't do WSM :LOL: Only reason i have an egg is ,,well there's no real good answer for that,,,maybe ahh,hmmmmm,oh ifigured we were going to have a cold winter and got a deal on one.

dollarbill said:
what is a smoke ring?
elias%20smoke%20ring2.jpg

;)

--John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom