When to add pellets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Can anybody tell me when to add smoke pellets to my smoker. Its an 8 pound butt/picnic. Im not sure when to add them and for how long do i keep it up? Im using wolf rub and mesquite pellets. This is my first smoke ever. yahoo i beside myself with hunger pains! Thank you for the help. db

DB, what kind of smoker do you have? If its a bullet type I would suggest using chunks instead of pellets.

I've never used pellets, but I don't think they
would act much different than chips....I'd start
em as soon as I put the meat on and and just
try to keep a thin blue smoke coming out of the
top vent.

wow

Ok ill try that! I wasnt sure as to how long to actually "smoke" the meat. So - just so i get this straight......Keep smoke on it for the entire time? Thanks again for your help. db

DB, if you have chunks use them instead of the pellets...otherwise you are going to be adding them many times during the cook...and that means opening the cooker a lot. Never a good idea to open it any more then you have too. Plus your looking at a 16hr cook or so with an 8lb butt.

I use pellets for grilling more then smoking...especially if you don't have a pellet burning cooker.

If you are going to use them no matter what, I would fill a foil pack with a lot of them and throw them in when you add your coals to get started...If you need to re-fill, and it sounds like you will have to at least once or twice, then make a few other pouches to tranny in an out during the cook.

Bill I don't recall if you got the cast iron pot or not. If so load that up with pellets and place in the middle of the lit coals when you add your meat. That should burn for about an hour and a half, then refill the pot when the smoke stops. If you didn't get the pot make a foil packet with 1/3 cup of pellets, seal tightly and poke ONE hole with a toothpick and place that ontop of the coals and repeat a couple times when you see the smoke stop.

If you want to use pellets get a Traeger or a Fast Eddy. Larry can hook you up with the Fast Eddy.

Until then you can also use aluminum foil pouches with a few holes punched in them but they wont the smoke won't last too long.

nice!

Ya i did get the cast iron pot and i need to go and check it too. What is a fast eddie? im trying to dial it in now it was running at roughly 250 so im tryin to bring her down to 225. Cant wait for noon........mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cold beer........ and the wife is going to pick up some more of those aged steaks from the butcher. Another fine start to the weekend! db

The Fast Eddy is the King of Pellet Cookers. Many world championships have been won with it. I'd give you a link but I don't want to step on Larry's toes. He sells them for about the best prices I've seen anywhere. If you should consider buying one, talk to Larry! Ok Larry, I expect some Wolfe Rub in the mail for that endorsement! :LOL:

I'm cooking on mine today. I'll post some pictures.

Wow, I dont need anything like that. I prefer to have to watch-over everything even though it sounds like everyone is trying to perfect the art of "Not having to watch over it" methods. hahahahaa ....if that makes any sense. Its at about 235 - 240 and commin down slowly. Oh its also windy(er) than a SOB outside!

Can anyone tell me How to get a better seal on my WSM. it leaks alot!

That's what you say now DB, but once you start competing and want to get some sleep, you'll be dreaming about the Fast Eddy! :LOL:

One can never have too many smokers you know!

Good luck with your cook!

DB don't worry about that WSM, that's how they are made. The temp will come down and stabilize at about 225. Keep the top vents open and play around with the bottom ones. Sounds like you're doing fine. You're in the BBQ zone already with the temps.

top open?

Keep the top ones open? Ok ill try that. Ive been tryin to get it down and it actually has went back up. I refilled my water and added the pellets. I need to get the smoke thinner i think. Ill go mess with it again. 20 minutes till mountain beer thirty time! db

i appreciate the help. db

STOP MESSING WITH IT!!

lol, BBQ is all about patience.

Always keep the top vents open full.
Control the temps with the bottom vents only.
Only replace water when it's running dry.
Give the pit time to settle down before adjusting
vents again. Any thing you cook between 225 and 250
for 30 minutes will be just as good as anything you cook at
225 for the entire cook. Those little temp swings won't hurt
you at all, especially at the beginning when the meat is still
cold.

If you really want to fiddle with it the whole time, go buy
a cheap offset. The WSM will run fine once it gets to the
temp you want...just give it time. Have a beer!!

Thanks Cap! I think I will go draw one off the ol' tap! I started it at 7am. I havent opened it but a couple times so far. Thats good to know having the top adjust open and adjust it from the bottom. Ill have to add coals at some point in the next 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When should i turn it?

I did minion method and i just looked at the coals to get an idea of how long before i need to add more and it looks like i have alot longer than i thought. ill bet 2 to 3 hours. we'll see. Got to go refill now! Thanks again everyone. Whats her name just got home fro the butcher shop! Ribeye and sirloin. Ill post pics in a bit! db

Captain Morgan said:
STOP MESSING WITH IT!!

lol, BBQ is all about patience.

If you really want to fiddle with it the whole time, go buy
a cheap offset. The WSM will run fine once it gets to the
temp you want...just give it time. Have a beer!!

+1 :D :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom