Whats cooking this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
alright so this weekend and into Monday I am doing brisket and butt practice to try to get back into the swing of things.

Also craving a fatty. So thats the plan for this weekend.

Whats everyone else up to?

Tomorrow I am starting off the day off with coleslaw and a marinade for Cornell Chicken. I’ll meet up with my neighbor around the middle of the day to make beer (pumpkin ale). Towards the end of the brew, I’ll switch my attention to the Cornell Chicken and salt potatoes. It should be a fun day in the 40s before winter returning with snow and ice for the next three days.

Regards,
Oak

nothing here, raining. Got two invites for dinner, trying to decide between fried chicken and lasagna.

what is Cornell Chicken? Is it made with ivey wood?

Captain Morgan said:
what is Cornell Chicken? Is it made with ivey wood?

Cappy,

Cornell Chicken was invented by Dr. Bob Baker at the University of Pennsylvania and Cornell University. The recipe was created in 1946 as a way to get more Americans to eat more chicken. The recipe became an upstate New York tradition at the New York State fair. The chicken is marinated and basted with a vinegar, salt, and poultry seasoning mixture. It is traditionally roasted over live coals about 26 inches above the coals. At home, I typically cook it indirectly on the Weber kettle at 350-400º. The salt and vinegar penetrates the meat and gives a wonderful flavor with a crisp skin. However, given your comments, you got me thinking about cooking it low and slow with some apple for smoke. At the end I could crisp the skin over some hot coals.

Cook’s Country recently developed a recipe for Cornell Chicken http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=5087 and there are two recipes for it in Steven Raichlen’s BBQ USA on page 384-386.

Regards,
Oak

sounds like Roadside chicken kind of sprang up out of this,
and I love roadside chicken. I'll give it a try soon. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom