what's cooking on the 4th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Witt,, lots of folks in NC eat boiled taters with their q. Here's a recipe.

5 pounds potatoes
4 large yellow onions
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 20 oz bottle catsup
1/4 to 1/2 cup Texas Pete or other hot sauce
1/3 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Peel taters and onions and cut into large chunks. Cover with water
in a large pot. Add remaining ingrediants, stir and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Serves 15 to 20.

Thanks Cappy another great discovery... :grin: Looks somewhat similar to my aunts German Potatoe salad minus the vinegar....

Captain Morgan said:
Witt,, lots of folks in NC eat boiled taters with their q. Here's a recipe.

5 pounds potatoes
4 large yellow onions
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 20 oz bottle catsup
1/3 cup sugar

Serves 15 to 20.

But panther mention bbq taters. Or did he make a mistake and mean boiled. I've grilled mine before but never smoked them.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":13xgyi02]Witt,, lots of folks in NC eat boiled taters with their q. Here's a recipe.

5 pounds potatoes
4 large yellow onions
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 20 oz bottle catsup
1/3 cup sugar

Serves 15 to 20.

But panther mention bbq taters. Or did he make a mistake and mean boiled. I've grilled mine before but never smoked them.[/quote:13xgyi02]

I'm 99 percent sure my recipe is what he's referring to. Down east (eastern NC), barbecue potatoes are potatoes boiled in barbecue sauce...
it's a regional thing. You don't find it as much in the western half of the state, but it goes good with q. The taters take on a hint of the flavor of the sauce...pretty dang good. I've only seen it in NC.

He may be talking about smoked potatoes or the loaded potatoes Finney
referred too, but barbecue, not barbecued, potatoes is a preferred
side dish in many eastern NC households.

Making my famous Walter Burgers , mine are hand pressed , they come out being 2 inches thick when done , we eat ours grilled at medium. I have things like cheddar cheese, mushrooms , etc for what ever you want to stuff them with. Usually use some seasonings I have on hand . Niki is hand cutting the fries , we cut a really sweet watermelon this afternoon. She is even making double dark choclate frosting cake ( my favorite).
Sometimes simple is a good thing. HAVE A HAPPY 4TH EVERBODY!!!! :grin:

Cappy and Finney both ideas sound good. =P~ Always looking to expand my culinary creations along with my waistline.......
Walter Double Chocolate Cake =P~ Homemade Fries and BABurgers...now your talking....

Finney said:
Panther, You gotta switch to Lexington style salw. That is one of the things that makes Lexington BBQ different than any where else. :!:

I've tried making a good Lexington style slaw and just can't get it right. I finally resorted to the blend of flavors that I mentioned earlier and to be honest I think it's going to be hard to beat.

Q

Captain Morgan said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":1p78fe47][quote="Captain Morgan":1p78fe47]Witt,, lots of folks in NC eat boiled taters with their q. Here's a recipe.

5 pounds potatoes
4 large yellow onions
1/4 cup bacon drippings
1 20 oz bottle catsup
1/3 cup sugar

Serves 15 to 20.

But panther mention bbq taters. Or did he make a mistake and mean boiled. I've grilled mine before but never smoked them.[/quote:1p78fe47]

I'm 99 percent sure my recipe is what he's referring to. Down east (eastern NC), barbecue potatoes are potatoes boiled in barbecue sauce...
it's a regional thing. You don't find it as much in the western half of the state, but it goes good with q. The taters take on a hint of the flavor of the sauce...pretty dang good. I've only seen it in NC.

He may be talking about smoked potatoes or the loaded potatoes Finney
referred too, but barbecue, not barbecued, potatoes is a preferred
side dish in many eastern NC households.[/quote:1p78fe47]

Captain is absolutely right, that's what I was referring to. Boiled potatoes in Texas Pete spiced water. Good stuff guys. The potatoes take on the flavor of the onions and the Texas Pete. Great compliment to pulled pork BBQ.

Re: Q

And you can bet bottom dollar I am copying all this to Word Perfect for later!!!!!

Great friends , Great food , Great Drink , and Good Times ya dont need anything elese !!!

Re: Q

WalterSC said:
And you can bet bottom dollar I am copying all this to Word Perfect for later!!!!!

Great friends , Great food , Great Drink , and Good Times ya dont need anything elese !!!
You are right my friend =D>

Captain Morgan said:
This is what Finney was referring to:

Believe it or not .......I am at a loss for words :eek:

I now need to buy a new screen for the 'puter, because I broke a tooth on this one =P~

A meal in itself =P~

I discovered these in Tenn. on vacation. Went home and put some good bbq on it and was hooked. Works best with finely chopped brisket put pulled pork is good too. They are a meal.

PantherTailgater said:
Captain Morgan said:
Panther, do you make your own sauce? Care to share the recipe?

BBQ Chicken Honey Sauce

1 1/3 cups of Heinz Ketchup
1 tb of butter
2 tbs of honey
1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/8 cup of Beer
1 clove of garlic crushed
Finely chopped green onions
1 tb of Worcestershire Sauce

Bring to boil, lower temp and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Moved to the Recipe Section

Back
Top Bottom