What's cookin' this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick Prochilo said:
Nick Prochilo":7ak0olcy]I found a small turkey in the freezer the other day and I'm smoking it up now. [url="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/nprochilo/?action=view&current=DSC03671.jpg said:
img_178309_0_cb3967fcf94ec79b193025f5e9513776.jpg
[/url]

Last 2 pictures. After I let it cool down, the skin got rubberie. Sorry BW, it was nice and moist, probably from the injection I gave it.

[/quote:7ak0olcy]

Last but not least, a pot of soup. I love to get my money's worth out of a turkey!

Now Cappy how do they treat a person in the Brunswick Stew contest? I hope not quite as shabby as they treat the comp Gumbo cooks down in the S.E. They expect one cook to invest a few hundred bucks in enough goods to feed half the town...then they (Chamber of Commerce or some other bunch of thieving scalawags in charge) take and sell it..keep the money and give the Grand Prize Winner a .39 cent ribbon. Stuff like that just chaps my coola. I got authentic recipes running out the ying yang for anybody who want to make some..including the SC Hash. None of that stuff sounds very appetizing.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Ron, don't want to hijack Nicks thread (Nick I think that was an
excellent cook considering the conditions) but brunswick stew
is a common side to barbecue in North Carolina. It's roots
are thick in Va, NC and Georgia, but surprisingly, it skipped
right over SC . SC eats a similar but distinctly different dish
called hash.

bigwheel said:
Now Cappy how do they treat a person in the Brunswick Stew contest? I hope not quite as shabby as they treat the comp Gumbo cooks down in the S.E. They expect one cook to invest a few hundred bucks in enough goods to feed half the town...then they (Chamber of Commerce or some other bunch of thieving scalawags in charge) take and sell it..keep the money and give the Grand Prize Winner a .39 cent ribbon. Stuff like that just chaps my coola. I got authentic recipes running out the ying yang for anybody who want to make some..including the SC Hash. None of that stuff sounds very appetizing.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Ron, don't want to hijack Nicks thread (Nick I think that was an
excellent cook considering the conditions) but brunswick stew
is a common side to barbecue in North Carolina. It's roots
are thick in Va, NC and Georgia, but surprisingly, it skipped
right over SC . SC eats a similar but distinctly different dish
called hash.

you know, years ago I remember you talking about getting out of bbq contests and into chili contests because the weekend warriors with money
took it all into an incredible different level. It was fun winning all those trophies with my little cookers, but now I know what you mean.
I love to compete in food contests, but now I'm liking more of the
ones where there aren't
teams with 5 members and 20k worth of pits show up,
spend a thousand bucks to win a 500 dollar prize.

On the other hand, when you get into smaller contests with "celebrity
judges" you are in a crap shoot. Not that their opinions count any less
than "certified judges", but you wonder if they go in with an open mind.

Oh well, that's life, and if you judge your life by how many trophies you've won, you've lived a pretty sad life. Count your friends instead.

Well can see you waxing philosophic here. :shock: How much Brunswick stew do you have to cough up for the contest?

bigwheel

5 gallons.
no entry fee.

Get this...you have to prepare it at home and transport
it to the site and serve the public.
In my county, DHEC would not allow that.
Of course, hot dog carts are not allowed in my county.
Apparently they are safe. Of course, they are allowed
in other places, so I guess our local gov'mint boys are
smarter than them others.

guess I'm lucky.

Yep..it sounds like they out to screw the cooks as is SOP for many such events. Less they gonna let you peddle it and keep the money. Now I like the sound of that. How much money (rough estimate) would it take to construct 5 gallons of Brunswick stew?

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom