What's Cookin' at Y'all's House This Memorial Day Weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookking

Sous Chef
I decided to start this topic today since it's a holiday weekend. Memorial Day Weekend! A nice three day weekend many look forward to as an excuse to enjoy three or even four days away from work. Kids are usually out of school for the summer by now and so the unofficial start of summer begins.

Although many look at it as the official start of grilling season and cooking of all sorts outdoors, or even just eating outdoors in picnic fashion a wide variety of foods from fried chicken to grlled hot dogs or maybe just a ham sandwich. I know a large majority of us really know that grilling season is actually a year 'round, non-stop season for us.

It's actually a day set aside to remember those who have died while in the service of protecting OUR wonderful country. Let's all remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the liberties and priveliges so many in this world don't have or even think is truly possible to have. Freedom is a wondeful thing! Fly the American flag this weekend and thank anyone you know and don't know who is in the military for the service they provide because they are always at risk of of becoming one of those that have made the ultimate sacrifice. Honor them all!

Alright now, back to talking about food. So, like any other holiday here we tend to revolve around food when it comes to celebrating Memorial Day and more often than not it includes some sort of grilled foods. Share with us all what you plan or grilling or smoking or whatever preferred method you have for creating the food that signifies the start of summer for you or that you cook for celebratory occaisions like this one.

I'm not positive of what I'm cooking here yet. I'm taking a ride through Cajun Country tommorrow maybe and I may end up picking up some of the delicious prepared foods(stuffed chickens or chops)some of those little butcher shops usually have. I know whatever it is it's going to be good. Maybe whatever you're cooking will sound good enough for me or some other members here to decide on doing.

What's cookin' at y'all's house this weekend?

Gonna do a couple butts to take to St Louis to the in laws for a graduation party. Gotta take some good food with as my mom in law God love her, cant cook for crap....lol. The rest of my weekend will be spent on the road eating crap fast food Im sure.

Don't forget the veterans are out selling poppies ! I bought mine already :D

We'll go to a Memorial Day Ceremony honoring the vets, then we take flowers around to all my husband's family's grave sites.

So, we'll be having a few people over on Memorial Day for a BBQ. I'll be smoking brisket, pork butts, baked beans and ABTs; and then we'll have the usual picnic salads, dips and chips, smoked salmon spread....... wine, beer and iced tea.... hmmmm haven't gotten to planning the desserts yet, heard someone might be bringing rhubarb pie.... :D :D Thanks to Larry I've got a plan of attack on smoking the brisket and butts (hahaha I had to run back to the butcher to find out exactly how to separate the point from the flat :? :LOL: , I got it now ! Ok, I thought it was more complicated than that :oops: )

I hope everyone has a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend, whether you are at home or on the road ! Remember our veterans, fly our flag high !

Hmmm well i just joined this forum a few days ago and just bought a new bbq grill from lowes 2 weekends ago so i am anxious to try it out.I love my new grill its the huntington model sold exclusively thru lowes much better than my old brinkman.Anyhow i am planning on doing brats and hamburgers and pork steaks.Any techniques on pork steaks would be welcome.And by the way AWESOME FORUM!!!!!

Welcome to the forum Dave....One suggestion on the pork steaks is pack them all back together into the pork butt they come from and smoke them indirect low and slow and make pulled pork instead..lol. Have a great cook and a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

Yes, welcome aboard Davemo! Now get cooking and sharing what you're cooking and eating.

Will be at camp all weekend....So far BB ribs sat night. My daughters bf is making "whistle pigs" for lunch saturday. Sunday dinner is still up in the air..prob breakfast pizza for sat and Wavos Ranchero for breakfast sunday

Probably going to cook a pork loin with some kind of a healthful stuffing inside. Looking forward to pulling it early so it's at 145 degrees after resting. I've been doing the old 165 internal temperature up until now. :roll:

Dogs and burgers are the plan. ABTs, moink balls, bacon, bacon and bacon. I'll also be at camp all weekend. It's my turn to tend bar, witch is always a good time.
img_238756_0_ce137bb606142b2912756b4ad7393686.jpg

Have to fire up the old 1928 Detroit Jewel Range, like a idiot, I didn't cover it up this past winter. :( Air out the shaggin wagon sure glad I filled that bad girl up last fall! It has a 45 gallon tank. Who knows what else Bro Jack and I will cook. Folks show up with all kinds of chow and just ask us to do it up. Pal Donny gave me three cases of burgers last year. I gave him a charcoal chimney, he asked "whats this for" Told him it's for making non lighter fluid dogs and burgers. Dude used so much it would burn your eyes walking by his $2.99 cheap ass grill. :LOL:

Looks like 3-day marinated tri-tip and char-siu marinated skinless chicken thighs. If you aren't familiar with char-siu, it's chinese bbq sauce and it turns the meat an almost rosey red color after marinating.

REMEMBER OUR SOLDIERS!

Alright, so we did brats last night. I thinking about some lump crabmeat and tasso sliders this evening, pork tenderloin tommorrow and maybe chicken Monday. Unless I dig some steaks out of the freezer later this morning. Possibly pizza sometime in between.

I've got spare ribs for today (3 racks smoking now), with corn on the cob, and whatever other sides I can whip up, plus pound cake for dessert. On Monday we're doing burgers and hot dogs.

Did some grilled corn in the shuck..baked tates and two big Choice grade top Sirloins on the gasser. Leftover pintos and a salad to round it out. I'm too pooped out to eat after all that cooking. I cant take pics since some fat boy sit on my camera.

I made broiled parmesian tilapia tonight. Tomorrow doing tri-tip for lunch and monday gonna do burgers and brats, and smoke some butts.

On Monday making my 1st. 2 fatties on the smoker.
Cooking brats, hamburgers and Hotdogs from Hell on the grill.

On Saturday I had leftover pulled pork for breakfast, pork steaks for lunch, went to Rib America for dinner. Sounded good to me.

Back
Top Bottom