What wood should I use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some well seasoned birch and I love the stuff. I think it's paper birch. I remove all the bark though because it's so oily and gives off nasty black smoke.

The taste of the birch smoke I find to be a bit 'dry' and salty not really fruity or nutty.

I did a butt + brisket cook recently mixed birch and mesquite. umm umm good. I mix it with apple or maple too.

Shawn White said:
I have some well seasoned birch and I love the stuff. I think it's paper birch. I remove all the bark though because it's so oily and gives off nasty black smoke.

The taste of the birch smoke I find to be a bit 'dry' and salty not really fruity or nutty.

I did a butt + brisket cook recently mixed birch and mesquite. umm umm good. I mix it with apple or maple too.
I have a bunch of Birch, never knew it could be used :eek:

Bob-BQN said:
I've never used Birch ... so you say it tastes a lot like a pretzel?
heh, yeah kinda

in fact, at the grocery store the other day I saw a new product, Birch and Maple smoked hams ... ingrediants list '...Natural Birch and Maple Smoke'

Maple Leaf Lump, highly rated by Naked Whiz, is made of Maple, Beech and Birch

Hate to agree with Greg, but he is right in my book on this one! And yes, go light. Lightly smoked is better tasting than overly smoked!

Wood?

I use Cherry or Oak. When I mix the two, I call it Choak!!!!!!!!!
PARTY. Ham and Chuck Roast are on and the Salmon will go on later this afternoon.
Smoke On!!!! ALL of you guys!!!!!!!!!!!
ed

Back
Top Bottom