What makes great BBQ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I thought this would be a good topic for discussion. What is it that you think makes BBQ taste great?

For me I think it is the layers of flavor in BBQ. You have the meat, the rub, the wood smoke, and of course the glaze or sauce or whatever else you want to add. I think when all of these flavors come together it makes for a wonderful taste experience.

I also love the fact that everyone cooks BBQ there own way and to there own tastes. That way there are so many chances to taste different BBQ! And that is a good thing!

ddog27 said:
I thought this would be a good topic for discussion. What is it that you think makes BBQ taste great?

For me I think it is the layers of flavor in BBQ. You have the meat, the rub, the wood smoke, and of course the glaze or sauce or whatever else you want to add. I think when all of these flavors come together it makes for a wonderful taste experience.

I also love the fact that everyone cooks BBQ there own way and to there own tastes. That way there are so many chances to taste different BBQ! And that is a good thing!

You hit the nail on the head!!

I agree, it's all the different flavor combinations and the way people put them together in so many ways. I, for one, don't want to eat just smoked meat no matter how good the rub, sauce makes it bbq to me. Otherwise, I just call it smoked meat. LOL I hate when a caterer makes bbq and puts out some cheap storebought sauce to go with it. If I can make a unique sauce at home for pennies, surely these guys can do the same! LOL It doesn't matter to me if it's a mustard, vinegar, or even ketchup based sauce. I don't want the meat drowning in it but a little bit sure makes a difference, IMO!

Gary in VA said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":3ly0y7g3]What makes good barbeque?

Petunia

So Bill, are you now admitting that it truly IS the COOKER and NOT the COOK.. in your case?[/quote:3ly0y7g3]

Danville Results:
2.gif

Bill's Grill 17th (Home made smoker)
Gary's BBQ 22nd (Expensive Lang 84)

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Gary in VA":1p0ha7jr][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":1p0ha7jr]What makes good barbeque?

Petunia

So Bill, are you now admitting that it truly IS the COOKER and NOT the COOK.. in your case?[/quote:1p0ha7jr]

Danville Results:
2.gif

Gary's BBQ 22nd (Expensive Lang 84)[/quote:1p0ha7jr]

Uh oh, the Hatfields and McCoy's are gonna go at it! Maww, go get Paww's shotgun! :eek:

The cook makes the best BBQ. It’s when you take a junk piece of meat and spend hours babying it putting some of your soul into it. That why BBQ from a wood/charcoal pit is better than something that comes off of an set it and forget it electric (IMO).

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Gary in VA":37g1sdn7][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":37g1sdn7]What makes good barbeque?

Petunia

So Bill, are you now admitting that it truly IS the COOKER and NOT the COOK.. in your case?[/quote:37g1sdn7]

Danville Results:
2.gif

Gary's BBQ 22nd (Expensive Lang 84)[/quote:37g1sdn7]

even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again with your ol computer charts, storebought sauce and coyote rub

mooning_bart.gif

Gary in VA said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2p93sebi][quote="Gary in VA":2p93sebi][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":2p93sebi]What makes good barbeque?

Petunia

So Bill, are you now admitting that it truly IS the COOKER and NOT the COOK.. in your case?[/quote:2p93sebi]

Danville Results:
2.gif

Gary's BBQ 22nd (Expensive Lang 84)[/quote:2p93sebi]

even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and again with your ol computer charts, storebought sauce and coyote rub

mooning_bart.gif
[/quote:2p93sebi]

Pfft......

Did you hear that?..................................

What was that Pfft sound?................................

I dunno...................

It was a big ole' can of Whoop Ass being opened! You just don't bust on a mans rub! :-X

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Gary in VA":1s6j0sjn][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":1s6j0sjn][quote="Gary in VA":1s6j0sjn][quote="Bill The Grill Guy":1s6j0sjn]What makes good barbeque?

Petunia

So Bill, are you now admitting that it truly IS the COOKER and NOT the COOK.. in your case?[/quote:1s6j0sjn]

Danville Results:
2.gif

Gary's BBQ 22nd (Expensive Lang 84)[/quote:1s6j0sjn]

mooning_bart.gif
[/quote:1s6j0sjn]

Pfft......

Did you hear that?..................................

What was that Pfft sound?................................

I dunno...................

It was a big ole' can of Whoop Ass being opened! You just don't bust on a mans rub! :-X[/quote:1s6j0sjn]

Wasn't bustin on yer rub... was bustin on a guy that can't make is OWN rub.

I tell'd ya.. that coyote stuff be purdy daggum good.

Gary in VA said:
It was a big ole' can of Whoop Ass being opened! You just don't bust on a mans rub! :-X

Wasn't bustin on yer rub... was bustin on a guy that can't make is OWN rub.

I tell'd ya.. that coyote stuff be purdy daggum good.

The brisket that kicked you A$$ was my home made rub. [-X

lilq'er said:
GARY!!!!! call the flipping fire dept, bc you just got burnt :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(hehe..... btw, cute pic of you sleeping)
She pokes her head in once again... Gone for another 6 months?? :razz:

Ithink I make great Q, but how would any of us know!
Some guy's get together and partake in a brothers good food!
I think this is a good time to think about a BBQ4U cookout in a central location for everybody to enjoy :!:
I know it's been talked about before.........just my .02 cents 8-[

Back
Top Bottom