What is the standard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
A plate of bbq in Texas will usually consist of brisket and sides, "at least in East Texas". On the menu there will be Chicken, Sausage, Brisket and Ribs. To be honest, pulled pork is not on the menu. If you order a bbq sandwich you can expect it to be shredded beef with sause whipped right in with the beef and slapped on a bun.
Here in Arkansas if you order a sandwich you can expect it to be pulled pork on a bun with cole slaw right on the sandwich and no sauce added on the bun. No such thing as sausage or chicken. I did notice the local Corky's offering smoked chicken as a new item on the menu.
I just thought it would be interesting to find out what the norm was for different parts of the country.

Here in the Carolina's, BBQ means only one thing...pulled or chopped pork. Sides always include slaw, often include hushpuppies or cornsticks, brunswick stew, rice, and sometimes corn, green beans, tater salad.

Menu most often includes ribs and chicken, but rarely brisket.

All of the above, but pulled chicken is way too popular here. Steamed ribs that are falling off the bone really has folks fooled too.

Captain Morgan said:
Here in the Carolina's, BBQ means only one thing...pulled or chopped pork. Sides always include slaw, often include hushpuppies or cornsticks, brunswick stew, rice, and sometimes corn, green beans, tater salad.

Menu most often includes ribs and chicken, but rarely brisket.
Have to throw in onion rings and fries to Cappie's list.
:!:

Brunswick stew in Cappy's area, Hash and Rice in the Lowcountry and Midlands of SC. They do a rice and red gravy in the Williamsburg area here in SC that isn't too bad.

I was lucky enough to be in the Elloree area this weekend doing some judging. They were selling hash and rice with the to go plates from the event. I talked the ladies who were selling the plates into selling me some hash. It was truly authentic. You could taste the guts. YUMMY! =P~ =P~

Good Q!

Jack

it's a red one. It's hard to get it out of him though...it's his grandmothers or something. However, I might trade it to you for a bottle of Rev. Marvin sauce. :!:

Captain Morgan said:
it's a red one. It's hard to get it out of him though...it's his grandmothers or something. However, I might trade it to you for a bottle of Rev. Marvin sauce. :!:

I've got both hot and mild. Which one would you like. Good on Chicken and Pork. Makes a fine honey mustard hot wing.

Jack

Seems like a bit of everything here. The only thing differant is one small joint here in Hobe Sound has a fish, Snook, special. We seem to get folks from all over settling here so the foods and menus reflect that.

Okay, don't laugh! One time here in NY, I stopped at a deli and they had bbq beef sandwich. They guy took regular Boars Head roast beef, chopped it up, mixed it with bbq sauce and threw it on white bread. Yeah.....it sucks around here for bbq.

Back
Top Bottom