What is the purpose of water pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Been reading about the WSM and the water pan. Noticed some people add water, some add sand, some just wrap with foil, and some do nothing.

What is the purpose of a water pan and what do these different methods of using it accomplish?

Thanks.

Yep, it's simply a "heat baffle and stabilzer", it can also be a heat sink if you add cold water and/or ice if your temps get higher than you desire. Some folks will say it adds moisture and adds flavor if you use aromatics or fruit juice in the pan.

Sand is the best way to go in my opinion as it does not evaporate, thus keeping the temperatures stable throughout the entire cook. Sand is also far easier to clean up after a cook.

Well I can't help but believe the water also adds some moisture to the cooking environment...which under most circumstances I can envision should be a good thing which would be hard to duplicate using sand or foil clad clay saucers etc. How much moisture it would add to the equation and eggxactly how beneficial the addition would seem to be dependent on how much and whut kinda meat your cooking. If you had the WSM beastes loaded to the gills with butts for example...the additional moisture might not add a thing..whereas if you was doing a small brisket flat it could possibly help a bunch. Works thataway on bigger pits anyway. Just my dos centavos of course.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom