What is Hereford Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
Now I know it is a breed of cow, like black angus, but thats about it. Found some, but it is priced like Angus. butcher says if its Hereford, It is "top quality, like prime". Anyone got anything on this stuff? Thanks

I guess my question is, is it worth the extra money. 4.99lb for a flat. if iyt is prime. maybe I could see it. I asked the guy what was the grade, thats when he said "top quality, like prime". He said all Hereford was.

Well I decided to call the Hereford Beef folks. Thenice lady said there beef was just like any other beef, could be prime, choice, select, etc. If they cant show me a grade stamp, I aint payin 5 bucks a pound for a flat.

Dittos to whut Cappy say. Glad to hear you passed on buying. Most near all that stuff is a marketing scheme to boost sales. For instance CAB means it come from a mostly black cow (the bloodlines has now got so cornfused the color is the only indicator of whether it is Angus or not) which will rate in the upper 2/3 rds of Choice grade and is subject to certain marbling requirements. That Hereford Beef label dont seem to mean much of nothing since they peddling it in all grades. Maybe it has some marbling requirments. Who knows?

bigwheel

"Hereford Beef" is the same kind of thing as Safeway Stores "Ranchers Reserve" The only grades that are real have "USDA" before them. Examples, Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, etc. Everything else is made up by the Advertising Department.

The vast majority of beef cattle in the USA are the Hereford breed. Hereford are reddish colored with white faces.

Sometimes, they cross breed them with Angus cattle to produce smaller sized calves which are easier for cows to give birth their first time. Cross breed Herefords and Angus cattle are usually black body with white faces. One nickname for them is "Black Baldy"

Cocophone said:
"Hereford Beef" is the same kind of thing as Safeway Stores "Ranchers Reserve" The only grades that are real have "USDA" before them. Examples, Prime, Choice, Select, Standard, etc. Everything else is made up by the Advertising Department.

The vast majority of beef cattle in the USA are the Hereford breed. Hereford are reddish colored with white faces.

Sometimes, they cross breed them with Angus cattle to produce smaller sized calves which are easier for cows to give birth their first time. Cross breed Herefords and Angus cattle are usually black body with white faces. One nickname for them is "Black Baldy"

Thanks for sharin that! Thats interesting.

I learned it all in High School Agriculture classes. Those and typing classes were the what I remember the most.

Ahhh ok...gotcha. I buy quite a bit of the Ranchers Reserve from Tom Thumb..aka Safeway. Remember well when they first came out with it there was a lot of braggin on the beef being allowed to hang longer to stretch its muscles to make it mo tender etc. Think it would be safe to say it falls somewhere twixt Select (which is whut it is) and Choice which they try to compete with but don't quite make it. Nice to have a real cow poke on here:) Now first I heard of using a Hereford or Angus or vice versa to try and throw a light first calf. Out on the Waggoner Ranch they use Longhorn and Jersey bulls or maybe just the semen. That punch out nice little calves supposedly.

bigwheel

Just nother cow. They do well here in the midwest, a fine eatin critter fur sure, but don't pay no more fer it then any other. That be a marketing scam an I'd let the feller know it too.

A Vermonter eh :shock: Who woulda thunk it:) I have bought lots of yalls Januine Maple Syrup. Sure is good with a set of flapjacks covered with real cow butter and some sausage or bacon to go with. Tall glass of cold milk on the side. Dang I am making myself hongry here. Sure you do your part to keep it headed to God's Country. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
A Vermonter eh :shock: Who woulda thunk it:) I have bought lots of yalls Januine Maple Syrup. Sure is good with a set of flapjacks covered with real cow butter and some sausage or bacon to go with. Tall glass of cold milk on the side. Dang I am making myself hongry here. Sure you do your part to keep it headed to God's Country. Thanks.

bigwheel

Im sure he mean s Gods Country Colorado..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

A cattleman friend of mine told me "its all angus after its cut up". i know that isnt true, but it probably happens.
Where I live it is pronounced Hef-Furd. Good eats for sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom