What do you use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Believe it or not, I spray with a mixture of Diet Coke, a little canola oil and worcestersire sauce. It has a really nice profile. Thats during the cook. After the cook I don't spray.

Al

Nothing here during the cook unless I have to go in for something else ~ Then I'll spray with AJ. After pulling, nothing. Sometimes a quick spray of AJ after reheating.

This may be long. I use a larger off-set cooker and cook mostly competitions or large catering gig's. My cooking style is often dictated by the turn in time or serving time.

I cook butts in the hotter area of my pit till they get to about 150* to 160* internal temperature. At this time I move them to the coolest area in my pit.( I used to try to get as even temperature throughout my pit and I still do if cooking large amounts, but now I like and use hot spots to my advantage) I believe cooking the butts and briskets longer through the "Platoe" range gives a more tender moister product with nice texture. After they cook to about 180* internal I foil them, thats right I foil them. I do this for a couple reasons, first the foil protects them from too much smoke. At this time in the cook my basket is getting low and I have to add 5-6 logs to build the heat up. This bitter white billowing smoke will add a nasty flavor to the bark.After the smoke cleans up I put my ribs on. The foil also makes the bark more moist and tender. I turn in chunks of meat and like the bark softer.The meat I turn in usually comes from around the bone, I stay away from the long muscle that some slice.

I used to add apple juice to the foil but after reading the ingredients in the juice I now use apple cider. I simmer the cider with a little rub mixed in. I don't know how much rub I use but it's about a cup of rub to a quart of cider. I also use this when I foil ribs but thats another story. I put around 1/4 cup in each butt and double wrap in foil and cook till they pass the wiggle test. When they do I rest them in a Cambro container.After the rib turn in I remove the resting butts from the foil and save the "smoke stock" I chill and remove the fat and that becomes the base for what I add to my butts. I also use a Piedmont sauce.When I cater I don't use sauce I serve it on the side.

With my ribs I use the smoke stock and cut it about 1/2 with sauce and glaze the ribs. As the diluted sauce get used up I add sauce to the mix till near the end it's just about straight sauce.I make sure the sauce is warm when I use it. I use a sauce like The Slab's sauce.

When the boxes are just about to be closed we glo-wax them with a similar mixture with corn syrup added.

Sorry this is so long.

Rich Decker

Bob T said:
BigGQ said:
Ditto...thanks for sharing.

I hope your not talking about Woodman's suggestion! :eek:
Thanks to all for your sharing of info. I just use plain apple juice after I pull, sometimes mixed with rub, but was just curious....

:lmao: :lmao:

Smokehouse said:
This is not exactly what you're asking, but I cooked briskets and boston butts this weekend for a company meal later this week. For various reasons, I foiled all of them during the cook and added apple juice before sealing. After the cook, I poured the juices off, chilled it and removed the grease. I pulled the pork, added some of the juices I had reheated and vacuum-packed it all. I'll reheat in boiling water for the company meal.

Smokehouse

Thats pretty close to what I do. I put the "jelly" in the bottom of the bag and fill with pork. When I cater I vacuum pack 5 pound packages and freeze. I have found a 5 pound bag fills a 1/2 foil pan and are very easy to reheat on site.

In my earlier post I said to add too much rub to the cider. I think I actually use about 1/4 cut to a quart.

Sorry,
Rich Decker

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom