What do we have here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Anybody got a WAG bout what this is?
img_215006_0_6dd01207001495a935a4890ea3ca2318.jpg

It's a Salometer, used fer testin the salt strength of a brine er cure. If yer gonna do a strictly salt cure, ya gotta have one a these. Much more accurate then just measurin er even wieghin yer salt. Had one an it got broke. Took a long time ta find nother one made in America an this one be an antique. The new ones er from France (screw that), this en from the Diamond Crystal Salt Co. an is in standard percentages. Had ta do some biddin ta get it, but it's mine now.

Got some more ham an beef recipes were gonna try out what will require the use a this. We'll post em up as we do em.

No quips but the actual answer its a hydrometer used to measure the specific gravity of liquids. Depending on the type it can tell you how much sugar is in the liquid or how much alcohol is there. I use them for measuring SG of Beer. and proofing Hydros to see the alcohol content in distilled spirits.

Whoops i didn't scroll so i didn't read your description but its the same idea as My hydrometers.

spott77 is spot on as it is a hydrometer. I've never seen one calibrated specifically to measure salt saturation.

Back
Top Bottom