What did they call it? Oh yeah... A big ol hunk of meat! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Qjuju

Senior Cook
Every year I do this cookout for some friends at work-- kind of an everyone bring a dish and I will make some Que thing. First time was yard bird, then I did some brisket, and last year fresh hams. What do to this year? Ah.... mmm.... let's do Clod! :) I like clod. The wife likes clod. I mean... what's not to like?!?! Plus, everyone gets curious about what exactly a Texas Clod is-- makes for some excitement.

In Kentucky, in years past at least, the problem has been getting a clod. The first time I asked for one they brought me out a 3.5 # chuck roast. I said no... I want the whole thing. The butcher said "Man, those things are huge!" I said Yes!! That's what I want. So he said let me trim one down. I said no!!!! :LOL: You can see how that went. This time, same guy, I said I need a whole one and he brought me a 22# and a 27# chuck-- he is improving. :)

Since I only had 10 adults and 4 kids I thought the 22# one would be just fine. So I brought it home and gave it a little rub. I took this pic before the flip whilst the hands were still clean enough to handle a camera. :)

DSC01308.JPG

After a night in the ice box... I was praying it would fit on the bullet without needing a trim. It did... barely. :) ( I viewed that as a reason to order a Klose... the missus did not share my enthusiasm! :LOL: )

DSC01312.JPG

After about 12 hours we had this...

DSC01319.JPG

After another 5 we hit 205. So I foiled it up and dropped in the cooler. Since I had about 5 hours until dinner... I went in search of fresh sausage. :)

This is the first cut...

DSC01320.JPG

...and the second...

DSC01321.JPG

...and the third...

DSC01322.JPG

...then everyone wanted to eat. So I pulled the big slices, setup the buffet, and got out of the way. This is the spread or at least what was left after the first round. :LOL:

DSC01323.JPG

After I made my plate...

DSC01326.JPG

DSC01327.JPG

I think I should move to Texas. Pigsicles and pork butts are mighty tasty to be sure, but beef BBQ is awesome! Maybe it's because its rare here... maybe not. I like it and this was a good clod. I Vacuum packed 5 meals for the wife and I plus we have another sammich or 2 in the fridge for this afternoon or tomorrow if it makes it that long. :)

Till next time...

Thanks for the kind words... clod is one of my favorite things.

To answer a question or two...

What did you get for a pound price?

I paid about 2 bucks/pound... gave it away for good times and side dishes. :)

Whew, for a minute I thought you were talking about bigwheel!

Nope... not talking about BW... but it is a rule that you must reply to all my posts in some fashion as long as you have that avatar. :LOL:

17 hrs at what cooking temp?

On the Pro-Q with sand in the water pan for a heat sink the temp comes up slow. When I put it on it was about 150. about 3 hours later it was 215. It was holding 225 when I went to bed about 5 hours into the cook. It was around 220 about 6 hours later and was 215 after 2 cups of coffee and a sunrise. :) (As an aside... That is my favorite thing about this hobby. Cool morning, birds beginning to wake up and chirp, a cup of coffee, and an aroma coming off the smoker like none other. I could sit there all day. Wonderful... wish everyone could share that at least once.) I rebuilt the fire and bumped it up to 250 to finish since it was around 170 internal and the plateau always needs a little push. :) It was still about 250 when I pulled it off and coolered it. The internal temp was 205 and the probe felt like it was sticking in warm butter. I am not sure that helps... but I hope it does. :oops:

That looks awesome. Sorry you can't get brisket often. Make good friends with the butcher and bring him a brisket plate now and then and he will find a way to have a brisket there for you.. Don't move to Texas. It's too hot and nothing to do... ;) Come visit though... :P

I plan on doing a clod in a few weeks. I have to go to Texas to get it.

I can only hope that mine comes out looking as good as yours.

BONE HEADS said:
Looks great, what sauce was that you had on sammie?

That was a variation of Big Bob Gibson's White Sauce. I like a little horseradish on beef... It didn't really need any sauce and several folks left it naked. :)

man that clod looks good and yes it's hard to get the right cut of meat here in Kentucky. Took me and hour to explain what I wanted the last time I cooked one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom