What did i do wrong? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Official BBQ Central Mark

Re: What did i do wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaebert
So it was my first time cooking a couple racks of baby back ribs on my gas grill. And they turned out very dry. I was wondering if you guys could help me out and tell me what it did wrong......

I started out putting a dry rub on the ribs. I put a metal pan underneath the grate that had the ribs on. I had that filled with water. I also i had a metal container of apple wood next to it. I cooked the ribs for 4 hours. I had to add more water once. I tried to keep the temp down but i couldnt get the apple wood to smoke unless id turn both of my 2 burners on. In the end the temp ranged from 225-300, but i kept it around 245 most of the time. I added sauce to it around the 2nd hour and continued to do so every 30 minutes or so. In the end the meat was not tender and very dry. It had a good flavor though.... So what did i do wrong? was it too hot, did i cook them too long? Did i just fail to cook them the right way?

Thanks for the Help
'Dry' meat comes from one thing..........over cooking.

I think your temps were higher than you think, especially when you were cranking up the burners to get the wood to smoke. Next time wrap wood chips in foil, poke 2-3 holes in the top of the foil and place directly on top of the lit burner. That will give you smoke without having to crank the heat up high at all.

What kind of ribs were you cooking? Generally if you're slow cooking ribs, loin back ribs take around 5 hours and spares 6 hours if you're cooking in the 245-260 range. You can also cook them at higher temps 325-375 and finish them in the 2.5-3 hr range depending on the type of rib you are cooking.

If you want to give it a go again using low and slow on the gas grill, try the smoke method as I described above and cook the ribs in the smoke @ 245-260 (loin backs 3 hrs - spares 4 hrs), then wrap in foil and continue to cook ((loin backs 30-45 minutes - spares 1hr) (you can add liquid at this point to the foil if desired such as apple juice or another fruit juice)). Remove ribs from foil and place back on the grill to firm back up and sauce for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the rib.

If you prefer to grill vs. low and slow, cook indirect in the 325-375 range (use a drip pan, especially on a gas grill) for 2.5-3 hrs or until the bones have pulled back and the ribs are almost tender. At that point move the ribs to direct heat to finish with a nice sear and char.

These are two different methods that will give you great but very different results.

Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Master of All

yeah.

Weber Smokey Joe Gold ?

Weber Grill Decency Agent # KTL9352
ScottyDaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
Web Celeb

Just remember shaebert, this is a learning process and it should be a fun one regardless if you screw a cook up here and there. the next time you cook them you will see how much better you have gotten because of what you learned last time...and of course you will be able to implement the info here as well...do them again this weekend and see how it goes!!

Then, remember, to help pass along the info to the next guy who is having trouble down the road!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #4

Sorry about the dry ribs.. Slow and low is the way to go.. Foil them later too..If at first you succeed, then try try again!!
surfinsapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
Pope O'Que

and dont forget the ever so beloved No Pics= No Cook...

good luck on the next one. Let us know.
Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
BBQ Central College

What do you mean by dry? Do you mean they weren't falling off the bone? Or do you mean dry as in they were charred? I know the first year I cooked ribs I always undercooked them because I assumed that I didn't want to burn the ribs. I can tell you that if you are cooking them indirect at those temps it will be hard to "burn" them. Leave the ribs on longer next time and see what happens.
Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
BBQ Central College

One more thing - one of my neighbors got some Bob Evans ribs on the cheap and asked me to cook them up for him. Nothing could have saved those things! They were real thin and were just throw away ribs sold for next to nothing. So, sometimes the quality of ribs can make it tough to cook them - though I have only had that one experience in 6 years. So, what kind of ribs were you cooking? Where did you get them? What brand? That kind of stuff could help.
Brinkmann Pitmaster

If there's a new way...I'll be the first in line...but it better work this time!
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Wizard of Que

I feel your pain. I suck at cooking ribs. My first attempt on my smoker was just this summer and although they were ok I learned a lot about the next time.
Find Us on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/knoxspice
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #9

Well too low and slow with rapid airflow can dry em out too..but seriously doubt that was the problemo ala the procedures listed. Can only assume they was overcooked and maybe too fast. Also stop slinging all that sauce. If you want to glaze do it once after they have come out of their mandatory hours rest in the hot box. Allow it a while to burn in just a little.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Pope O'Que

Did you take the membrane off the back b4 you started em? Could that could be the char problem?

Member #1462
BBQ ........So easy a caveman could do it.....?

Never look your best friend in the eye while your makin' sausage.
dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote