Wet Rub Brisket & All Nighters Are Overrated ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
Did my brisket today, about a 14lb packer. Just didn't feel like putting it on last night so it was on by 10am this morning. 3/4 ring of unlit natural hardwood briquettes, 1/3 chimney lit on top, 3 good size pieces of cherry chunk.

Opened two of my top vents and all 6 bottom vents after the first hour (only had half that number of vents opened to start) and let 'er rip. By 3pm it reached 162ºF internal so double foiled and in a 275ºF oven until 5:30pm, then a 30 minute rest before slicing.

The sambal oelek wet rub was very very good. I'll be playing with that more and adding more complexity to it in the future. Recommend giving that a go. 3T sambal oelek, 1T brown sugar, 1t gran garlic, 1t gr corriander, 1/2t gr cumin. Salted the brisket by hand first then applied the wet rub with the back of a spoon.

When it comes to BBQ I've decided all nighters are overrated, results are so much better hotter ... why lose sleep fussing and fretting to hold 225ºF, these results were great!

I tried adding some oregano to the steamed beans and they were very good. The flour gravy turned out great too ... very smooth.

Sambal Oelek Wet Rub with Coriander and Cumin

Shoehorn Hump

162ºF

Done

Plated with Brisket Gravy, Sour Cream Garlic Parsley Mashed Potatoes & Steamed Green Beans with Oregano

That is making me hungry. I should have looked at pics after lunch.

Next time one of them Sambal Oleks wanders by my camp ghurahontee he will wind up his coola on the cooking fire. Fine job! Now whut is up with this oregano in the gravy? You Greek or Eyetalian maybe? Now the cumin is showing some Portugese or Kansas City BBQ sauce type nuances. You ever traced your roots by any chance? Must be some real diverse ancestry going on there. :shock:

bigwheel

Scotty: ya, mostly cold, was on the counter (from the fridge) less than an hour when it went on

DJ: brisket gravy? I made a flour gravy from drippings from the foil, defatted about half the fat off, added a little onion soup base (none of the onions) to bump the salt level a bit

BW: 100% pure euromutt background here :LOL:, the sambal oelek is crushed chiles, not much different really than using chile powder in a rub, and the oregano was in the green beans, not the gravy

Puff: not sure I want to know what you meant by that :shock: :LOL:

225 Temps? Question for some? 275 Temps works better for me!

I did up a 14 lb whole packet brisket last week and cooked it on my smoker at a grate temp of 275. after about 7 seven hours it hit internal temp around 175 then I put it in a large foil pan with 12 ozs of cheap beer covered then cooked till finish at 200 degrees in 10 hours, then wraped in foil and towels and put in a cooler for 3 hours, then sliced and poured some of the juice that I saved out of the foil pan, then served. It turned out to be the best I've done it was great.
I think for me 275 degree grate temp works the best for me and my smoker, my smoker is easier to keep and hold temps around 270-275 degrees and I get more sleep. Me and my Gator don't care for 225 degree cooking!

Looks good Shawn !

Shawn White said:
Scotty: ya, mostly cold, was on the counter (from the fridge) less than an hour when it went on

DJ: brisket gravy? I made a flour gravy from drippings from the foil, defatted about half the fat off, added a little onion soup base (none of the onions) to bump the salt level a bit

BW: 100% pure euromutt background here :LOL:, the sambal oelek is crushed chiles, not much different really than using chile powder in a rub, and the oregano was in the green beans, not the gravy

Puff: not sure I want to know what you meant by that :shock: :LOL:
You know.....the hump....when you started cooking it. :shock:
Glad to see back around these parts. 8)

Looks good and nice to hear from you again. Were you satisfied with the bark? That's the only difference I could discern between low/slow and high heat briskets. Well, that and about 10 additional hours cooking time. ;)

Well sounds like a great plan on the temps to me. I cook around 295-300 mainly cuz my electrical Brinkmann cook at them temps. Big brisket or two butts around 8 or 9 hours. No sense in cooking it all night unless you want to eat it for breakfast. Start about leisurely 7:30 AM and eat it for supper. Thats my ritual. Now for contest cooking I always partial to anywhere twixt 200 and 300. When it fall below 200 it time add fuel and when it hit 300 a person know it fixing to start cooling back down in a bit. I always liked to have the brisket in the bag by daylight but I always cook trimmed packers. The flat cooking boys could get up about 5 AM and have it ready in time.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom