Wet Rub Brisket & All Nighters Are Overrated ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with you on that bigwheel about triming the fat, I'm going to guess that saves about 1 hour cook time for me. I dont trim it all off, I leave about 1/8 inch thick on the fat side and trim off all the hard fat and trim the fat off the other side from the fat cap. There maybe 1-1.5 pound of fat that is trimmed off that will save some cooking time I'm sure.

Well I have to put that theory in the research bin. It's usually considered a fat brisket will cook faster than a leaner one of the same weight. So from a time perspective not sure how much the fat trimming saves other than reducing the total mass which should make it cook somewhut quicker cuz there is less there to cook. Whew this is cornfusing:) Seems like an old boy named Danny Gaulden did some tests on some of these isssues once upon a time.

bigwheel

...Were you satisfied with the bark?...
Bark to me has two components, dried out meat and the sugar and spice. Well the outside was tasty, but not like bark from a heavy spice & sugar rub. This had only a thin layer of dried out meat, it gets thicker on the low n slows IMO. I was happy with the results.

I didn't trim the packer at all either, I'm interested in this Gaulden bit about leaving more fat on actually makes them cook quicker. ?

Well its quite a few years back since Danny delivered the little tutorial but his premise was a large fat brisket will cook quicker than a leaner version of the same model..other variables being equal of course. Just for example a 15 pound packer with a higher fat content might perhaps get done quicker or as quick as a 12 pounder which was leaner. Thats why a person nearly got to treat em as unique individual specimines as opposed to say baking a cake where you cook it at a certain temp for so many miniutes per quanity of ingredients and mostly come out about right each time. The fat content of packer briskets vary widely especially when you start buying them by the case and dont have the opprotunity to sort through em prior to purchase in order to pick out the leaner selections.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom