went for a jog in the park and saw this.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
[/img
img_194084_0_7881fea89463c52159830e8d8706aa52.jpg

Well the guy was just opening the pit, so I went over to see what he was up to and perhaps learn a little.

He had on 4 butts, looked good, and was taking their temps. He said 165 perfect, that's what I am looking for. I asked 'can you pull them at the temp' he said 'oh yeah' and got out 2 knives and went at it. I asked how long were they on, and it was about 3-3.5 hrs. I didn't say much more and left. Later I saw he sauced them with Sweet baby Rays, don't know if he mixed it with anything.
Any thoughts? I always try for butts to be 195 at least and it takes me a least 12 hrs (he said his cooking temp was 250), the one time I tried to pull them at 170 they only thing I could do was chop or slice
Is this a new or different technique, just looking for thoughts.

well if he likes it, good for him. He's probably never had
bbq pulled and tender. I'm sure there are folks who just
cook their meat to that temp and chunk it or chop it up.
It'll eat fine.

Maybe one day he'll try some real smoked, tender meat
and see the light.

That be a feller what don't know bout Q. I guess ifin he likes it that be fine. I don't wanna have ta chew my sammie like a boot!

We tried some new ribs at our last gatherin, I wasn't happy, tough an way to much pull back, won't buy em again, nearly everbody there said they was the best ribs they ever et, must a been alright, weren't but two bones left! I guess ifin ya don't know better, it's still the best.

Feller has a nice enough rig, somebody outer teach him how ta use it proper is all.

Captain Morgan said:
well if he likes it, good for him. He's probably never had
bbq pulled and tender. I'm sure there are folks who just
cook their meat to that temp and chunk it or chop it up.
It'll eat fine.

Maybe one day he'll try some real smoked, tender meat
and see the light.

Jim isn't that the way alot of Eastern NC places do it, except they run it through a Buffalo Chopper?? I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive they do shoulders like that....

Eastern places use whole hog. Lexington style uses shoulders.
You can find sliced bbq much more in the "western" section, although
the true west of NC, the mountain range, is much more like
Tennessee style with a heavy sauce.

I've cooked a couple whole hogs this summer and that's the way we did it. Some pulled..........some didn't. So out came the knives. 8)

Well LSBS used to be purty bad about throwing in pork shoulder/butt category where they wanted one slice (mainly just to look at as far as I could tell) and something like a cup and half of pushed pork which the judges ate. It was generally agreed amongst the folks who alleged to know such thangs that to get slices it need to get to at least 180. If you want to push and pull just cook it till it dies and gives up around 200 or that general vicinity. Last few we did they had done away with the slice requirment which was a good plan I think. Now if KCBS would just do away with the wet lettuce and plastic ivy decorations everybody would live happily ever after.

bigwheel

I have a friend who lives in Kentucky that pulls them at 165 but he does in fact slice them. There ok but it's just not the same as when the are pull apart tender. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom