Well I tried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
I tried to cook a brisket. Used the bark maker from JB. The rest was experimental... Well here's nothin....

End result... Dry Brisket...Quadruple Darnit Perro!!!

Is there a chance I got a piece too lean??? If at first you don't succeed, try try again!!!.. :shock:

I cant imagine brisket being too lean. Did you smoke with fat side up or down? I think most say to smoke with fat side up.

May she rest in peace!

Love2<º((((>< said:
I cant imagine brisket being too lean. Did you smoke with fat side up or down? I think most say to smoke with fat side up.

May she rest in peace!

I think fat was up.. I don't remember it was all black..... :shock: :shock: :shock: BTW, The dogs didn't complain..... :D

Well cant quite be sure but think the young man got ahold of a flat or a nose off at the least. Them thangs is not easy to cook without foil. Aint no flat which tends to have copious amounts of fat. Most of the fat resides in the point and the layer between the two sections. You gonna need a few lessons.

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
I tried to cook a brisket. Used the bark maker from JB. The rest was experimental... Well here's nothin....

size=24]End result... Dry Brisket...Double ****** Boy!!![/size]

Is there a chance I got a piece too lean??? If at first you don't succeed, try try again!!!.. :shock:

Careful BOY.... you might be flirting with trademark infringement!!! ;) :LOL:

Looked like the fire was too hot! Low and slow boy...low and slow! Not familiar with them egg thingies...but can ya get the food up higher away from the coals then you had it in the pic cooking?

Did ya cut it HOT? or did ya let it rest and cool down first?

Did you inject it with anything??

Low and slow we run ours at about 225-250 at the very most. Also did you rush through the plateau?? That makes a huge difference to us. Going through the agonizingly painfully slow plateau very slowly is important for stuff to break down.

bigwheel said:
Well cant quite be sure but think the young man got ahold of a flat or a nose off at the least. Them thangs is not easy to cook without foil. Aint no flat which tends to have copious amounts of fat. Most of the fat resides in the point and the layer between the two sections. You gonna need a few lessons.

bigwheel
Not making excuses, but I think he's right. I have made briskets fro H.E.B> (Local super market) and they sometimes come out juicy and tender. I got this at a new meat market by my house. I noticed it came from SAm Caines meat packing plant.. Thanks for info...I'll get this right. The good ole crock pot fixed her up....

brian j said:
there's a reason they call brisket's the mt. everest of bbq. how hot was your cooker and how long did it cook? the guys i know who cook in ceramic cookers go low (~ 215f) and for a loooong time.
The cooker was around 250 - 300 for 7 hours... the internal thermometer for the meat got to 170...is that too high?

Smokey_Joe said:
surfinsapo said:

size=24]End result... Dry Brisket...Double ****** Boy!!![/size]

Careful BOY.... you might be flirting with trademark infringement!!! ;) :LOL:

Looked like the fire was too hot! Low and slow boy...low and slow! Not familiar with them egg thingies...but can ya get the food up higher away from the coals then you had it in the pic cooking?

Did ya cut it HOT? or did ya let it rest and cool down first?

I changed the double ****** boy clause...Just thought it fit the occasion.... :eek:
In that pic, I was only searing the meat and making a sweet bark. I put the meat real high after that... I cut it warm, not hot...I'm going to do this again today.. It's only going to get to 95 degrees here in S. Texas... Thank you Sir!!! :)

Cliff H. said:
How low and slow can you go ?
I reckon I can put one piece of hard wood charcoal in and cook it real low. I can go as slow as I need.. on my days off that is... :D I'm going to try to sear it on the lil infrared grill and then cook it on the Kamado with just a few pieces of Charcoal... Gracias Amigo! :LOL:

Diva Q said:
Did you inject it with anything??

Low and slow we run ours at about 225-250 at the very most. Also did you rush through the plateau?? That makes a huge difference to us. Going through the agonizingly painfully slow plateau very slowly is important for stuff to break down.

I didn't inject it with anything, but that's an idea for sure. I have a good cabelas injector.. Sorry for my novicesness, What is plateau in the bbq world..I cooked it for 7 hours... Thanks for your help Mam. ;)

When selecting our brisket we do so carefully and say a little prayer. The selection process involves not selecting the largest brisket ( they are from older and tougher cows) but instead choose a cut from a medium size cow, which cut averages 8 to 10 pounds. We also select a brisket that is "flexible" or "pliable". For example, place your hand vertically under the center of the brisket and let the brisket "flop" over the edges of your hand. Like a tenderloin, we select the one that has the most natural bend. If it is tough coming out of the butcher shop, it will be more difficult making it more tender on the grill. Let the next guy (Surfin Sapo) buy the tougher cut.

I'm going to try this articles tips too.....

http://www.barbecuen.com/champ-brisket.htm

Burnt Food Dude said:
I use a WSM at a lid temp of 240-250 degrees. Every cooker is different so here is my suggestions..

If you can get a "choice" brisket. They appear to cook better than prime or select.

Cook with the fat cap down. I used to cook with it up than I tried the Paul Kirk method of using the rule of 50%. If you think about it, how does the fat cap up baste the inside of your meat? It can't. The fat just melts off and drips down the sides of the brisket. Use the fat cap as a heat buffer to protect the meat.

Pull the brisket when you reach an internal temp of about 160-165 and foil fat cap up. When you foil add 1/4 cup beef broth to the foiled brisket. Put back into the smoker until the internal temp is about 195 (give or take a few degrees) or when you stick a therm probe into the brisket and it goes in like warm knife in butter.

When the brisket hits the "butter" stage pull from smoker, wrap in foil again and place it in a cooler for a couple of hours. If you want you could cover the brisket with some towels to help retain heat.

Listen to the brisket podcast several times. You may have to go thru several briskets before it all comes together.
Thanks Burn food dude!! I appreciate the help! :D

I do briskets at 250* until an internal temp of 165* in the brisket, Then usually foil for the rest of the ride on the way to 195*-200*. Then rest 'em for at least an hour. Works for me.

(And get rid of that riser grate for brisket or lower your temp, Dome temp is a lot higher than the main grate temp)

DATsBBQ said:
I do briskets at 250* until an internal temp of 165* in the brisket, Then usually foil for the rest of the ride on the way to 195*-200*. Then rest 'em for at least an hour. Works for me.

(And get rid of that riser grate for brisket or lower your temp, Dome temp is a lot higher than the main grate temp)
Ok. I think I will go for it again...Thanks for all the advice.. :D

Surf what recipe did you use? If it was an old one that I posted I think you missed the point My Bro in law does the hot sear 1st. I think if you do that you done burned off too much fat. I do cook mine @300 grate temp till 190 internal THEN give it a hot sear. Thats how I done my last posted briskit It came out moist & juicy Nice smoke ring wonderful & bark...

007bond-jb said:
Surf what recipe did you use? If it was an old one that I posted I think you missed the point My Bro in law does the hot sear 1st. I think if you do that you done burned off too much fat. I do cook mine @300 grate temp till 190 internal THEN give it a hot sear. Thats how I done my last posted briskit It came out moist & juicy Nice smoke ring wonderful & bark...
Oh ok JB. We watched so many videos in the last few days I think I got mixed up. Anyway, I got a good brisket today and it's cookin "Low and Slow"...It'll be ready around 11:00 P.M. Texas Republic Time... :D

surfinsapo said:
007bond-jb said:
Oh ok JB. We watched so many videos in the last few days I think I got mixed up. Anyway, I got a good brisket today and it's cookin "Low and Slow"...It'll be ready around 11:00 P.M. Texas Republic Time... :D

So how did this one turn out? :D

DATsBBQ said:
surfinsapo said:
007bond-jb said:

So how did this one turn out? :D
Go here DATsbbq :arrow: http://www.bbq-4-u.com/viewtopic.php?t=9719

Back
Top Bottom