Venison...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Just a question to any who have bbq'ed venison...does it take the gamy flavor out at all. I have a co-worker who might be coming in to some deer meat and, aside from jerky, hasn't liked how it tastes.

cut it in little pieces and then pound with a meat hammer and flour, salt, pepper and deep fry... Yum Yum.. Chicken fried venison!!! Or make Killer chili after grinding it. Too lean for me to BBQ...maybe foiled..

I agree with SS, to lean to BBQ needs fat added. Soak in buttermilk to take out some of the gaminess. I like the idea of Chicken fried venison and you won't taste any of the gaminess with deer chili.

Greg, most of the gamy taste that people talk about comes from the silver skin and any white fat or connective tissue on the meat. If you trim it really well you'll be all set.

I agree though that venison does not lend itself to BBQ, it's more of a high heat and quick type of meat to cook. DO NOT OVERCOOK it however, IMHO it should be eaten medium rare to medium at most. Makes excellent chili too.

I like venison chops wrapped in really thin pieces of bacon -grilled to about medium.
They need the fat. they are just wayy too lean to grill on their own.

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!

I take and soak the meat in ice cold water for 2-3 days and that pulls the blood out. Gets that gamey taste out of it. Killed a deer yesterday and have it soaking as I type this. Will take it and get it cut up and the ground meat have the guy to smoke me some sasuage with it. Also alot of people around pour salt in the cold water and claim that helps pull the gamey taste out too. About the only sucess I have had smoking vension is taking the back straps wrapping in bacon and smoke that way. Still was a little dry.

The gamey taste can come from several things. I believe the most important is a quick, clean kill. An animal that runs a long distance after the shot will taste gamier (sp?). Getting it dressed out quickly and hung for several days in cool place also helps a lot. Having said that wild game just doesn't do low and slow. Steaks need to be cooked fast and rare to medium rare. Any other cut is good braised in liquid. I just had a great moose roast for dinner last night. I cut the roast into steak sized peices, browned them and braised for an hour and a half in mushroom soup with a packet of dried onion soup added. I'll post a finished pic when I get home tonight.

The backstrap or tenderloin(whatever you yankees call it) makes a wonderful stroganoff.

Marinate em if they are anything other than from the loin.

http://www.bbq-4-u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13622

It was the best. Not gamey at ALL!
img_168737_0_62f861c2c7fe7682280e53e8b8c5c453.jpg

Bruce B said:
Greg, most of the gamy taste that people talk about comes from the silver skin and any white fat or connective tissue on the meat. If you trim it really well you'll be all set..

I agree 100%. I spend a good deal of time and effort getting all that stuff off the meat and i never get that game taste.

Here is a pic of the young buck I killed Sunday afternoon. The first pic of the deer quatered up is after it has been soaking 24 hours. The second one is to show just how much blood has been drawn out of the meat by seeing how white it is. Will soak another day and carry to get steaks cut and sasuage made. The white stuff others talk about on the meat is the fasciitis. I guess there are all kinds of ideas on what gives it the gamey taste. When I was young the old timers said you needed to cut the balls off the bucks first thing or it would have a bad taste. :LOL:

This should be some fine eating

This is after soaking 24 hours and changed the water out once.

Back
Top Bottom