VA cookers, need any Hickory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
The guy I get my oak fire wood from is setting the hickory aside for people like us who use it for cooking. He said he will get back to me with a price for it and I will let you all know. You will have to come to Gordonsville VA to pick it up. He doesnt deliver. The oak I get is split and around 19" in length and costs me .03 per pound. Cant beat that price for oak.

If you are interested, please post it here so I can let him know. Thanks.

Bill, just curious since I obviously live a little too far away, but do you have any idea what $0.03/pound converts to per cord?

Griff said:
Bill, just curious since I obviously live a little too far away, but do you have any idea what $0.03/pound converts to per cord?

Nope, I loosley filled my 6ft truck bed with split oak and paid $28 for it. Now it wasnt FULL. I dont have a lot of room for storage so I just get what I need for a while.

Bill The Grill Guy said:
The guy I get my oak fire wood from is setting the hickory aside for people like us who use it for cooking. He said he will get back to me with a price for it and I will let you all know. You will have to come to Gordonsville VA to pick it up. He doesnt deliver. The oak I get is split and around 19" in length and costs me .03 per pound. Cant beat that price for oak.

If you are interested, please post it here so I can let him know. Thanks.

I would love some hickory wood just have to get up that way and bring something to haul it back in , all the folks that sell fire wood around here just have oak.

Here's a little tip for super cheap wood that works well for me.

Just about every area has state forests, parks or similar areas.

I went to the closest state park to me and inquired about 10 or 11 years ago and have been getting wood since. I heard once, that they "thin" the woods from time to time, that's what got me to inquire. They mark the trees early spring each year that they want cut down. Then they have a sealed bid auction. The minumum bid is $10 per cord, and they mark off areas into "lots"....some lots are listed to have 2-3 cords....some listed to have up to 15 cords.... they only mark Oak & Maples to be cut...usually mostly Oak. And it's ALWAYS under estimated... I usually bid on lots under 3 cord , and have ALWAYS ended up with more then 5 cord...and have never cut any unmarked trees...and have always left some marked trees standing when I leave......the guy estimating must have no clue on how to estimate standing cordwood.

A few things that make the deal cool is.....

ONE.... I have never paid more then $10 per cord....either it's not a well known thing....or people just aren't interested in doing a little work for a good deal.

TWO... you can cut the trees right down to the last twig....(which I don't)... but whatever parts of the tree you DON'T take....there's no dragging and stacking brush...the only thing they ask is to cut and leave the stump no higher then 5-6 inches high and all and any parts of the tree left behind...leave it exactly where it landed and slash it up so it remains no higher then waste height on the ground (homes and hiding for forest critters).

Every year it's the same group of about ten of us local guys that show up to bid...and there are usually about 30 different lots to bid on. It's not a secret I blab about locally, as to NOT lose my cheap wood...but happy to share the little known state run program on here...I'd be willing to bet this is happening all across the U.S. in just about every state.

Hope this helps ya'll............SJ

Back
Top Bottom