Upside down rotisserie ribs & ABTs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I bought a used Weber rotisserie for my Performer and have enjoyed some nice chickens cooked on it. My WSM sits right next to the Performer and I have on occasion wondered how I might get the rotisserie to work on the smoker.

Today was the day I turned the rotisserie ring upside down and attached my Rib-O-Lator (yes I have gone a little nuts here) to the spit. With a little tin foil here and there to beef up the edge where the WSM lid goes on the bottom edge (remember, it's upside down now) of the rotisserie ring, it had a pretty good seal.

The rotisserie ring doesn't work in the right-side-up position because the WSM lid doesn't mate up proper to the top edge of the rotisserie ring. Also, there's a big gap that allows air to leak into the WSM where the bottom of the rotisserie ring meets with the top of the WSM body. Man this is taking more time to explain then it's worth. :roll:

Anyway, with some Mickey Mouse handy work, I got it working and gave two racks of baby back ribs and some ABTs a whirl.

The ribs were seasoned with Suckle Busters Hoochie Mama and smoked with some Pecan and Apple wood at about 225 degrees. After two hours, I took them off the trays and sprayed them with Sour Cherry Juice before putting them in foil. Back on the rotisserie for another half hour and then out of the foil for about 20 minutes or so to firm up.

I had three types of ABTs

Shrimp with Monterey Jack cheese, parmesan cheese and Italian bread crumbs (thanks for the recipe Rich777).
Cream cheese and green onion w/ little smoke sausages.
Cream cheese w/ Farmer John Fiery Hot Habanero pork links (very hot is correct - yum!).

Sorry to go on so long here. Here's the shots of the WSM, ribs and ABTs

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Necessity is the mother of invention".

Great looking eats. Are those abt's wrapped in ham or bacon?

smokemaster said:

i guess turkey bacon...just a guess...... Looks great Lew!

Lew, you are on the same path as I am. I have a list of ABTs I want to make including Cream cheese and blackberry preserves, a dessert ABT. The sausage ABT sounds great. Seems like your jury rigged rotisserie worked out nicely and everything looks great especially the ribs.

smokemaster said:

I wrapped them in turkey bacon. My wife doesn't like the added fat from bacon so I went this direction. I wanted to make sure she would try them. She loved them so the turkey was a good choice. I'll slip some apple cured bacon on a few next time and see what she thinks.

From the pictures it looks like it worked just fine. Like everything you do, you will be an ABT expert before you know it. The ribs, as Greg would say "look succulent." :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom