Unexpected Gift - How to best avoid wasting it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookingKraken

Assistant Cook
I was given a cut of pork by my girlfriend (who got it from her mom, who got it from a client) and was directed to cook it, but I'm not sure what cut it is. This makes me even more fearful of my first attempt at a long, slow BBQ session. Is this easy to identify from the pictures below? I was guessing it was the shoulder from a lil' pig, but it has some ribs in it, too. Any help identifying and/or prep suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea what I'm doing. :)
WP_20130802_003.jpg

WP_20130802_004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it fine. Looks like maybe the front quarter plust half the ribs of a real nice looking small friendly pig. You very fortunate. If I was the proud owner of that puppy I would do a little prep work with a sharp knife. Cut through the rind from the hock (the part in your hand or close) and slit it all the way to the center. Slather it with mustard and hit with rub on the exposed meat portions. Cook it hide down for 3 hrs at 250 or so. Then reach in with your tongs and see how easy the skin will try to slip off. Should be like taking off a loose fitting glove..may have to cut into the fat just a little to make it turn loose. After you get the skin off place it beside the other hunk fat side down on the grates. Rub the wet spot where the skin came off of the big hunk of meat and continueth to cook until done..which normally happen when the gauge say about 190-195 on the real meaty part and it passes the poke test. There you go. Kindly keeps us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, BigWheel, though I'm still a little slow on the uptake for the cutting process.

1. When I cut through to the center is that through the whole thing to make two pieces or just separating the rind into two pieces? (To make it easier to take the peel the skin off after it's been cooking?)

2. Is the red line the right direction for the cut?

WP_20130802_003%20%281%29.jpg

Thanks again! I'm tempted to just light the barbecue and stay up late waiting for it to finish tonight instead of holding off until tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
No no..flip it over and cut up the inseam of the leg starting at the hock and going till you run out of rind. You just want to score the rind not cut down into the meat. Referring to pic one is the best angle. Only looks like an inch or two of rind to score. Just slice through the rind from twixt where your fingers are holding the leg to where it meets the ribs. Never tangled with one with that much hide left on it but the rind over the torso should be able to get peeled off in around hour three also. Would at least tug around on it a bit and see if its ready to shuck itself. The hide will make some cracklings from outter space. lol. Used to have to fight the rotty over who got them off the picnic..lol.

Ah ha, I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. Time to get all prepped for tomorrow. I've only had fried pork rinds before - I bet the BBQed ones have better flavor.

Photos to follow if I remember. Thanks again!

I'd still fry them for a couple minutes, at the end. Oh, I'd eat myself sick with those. And some good hot sauce and some sour cream? Ohchicharita, I'd...

I agree with bigwheel except for the mustard part. Save your mustard for the ham sandwiches. You don't need it for anything. As long as there is any moisture in the meat, anything you rub on the meat will stick. If you want to, you can cover the skin with a good cooking oil. Me? I'd use olive oil, but NOT extra virgin or even virgin.

Did ya take a propane torch and burn off those hairs> They won't be good after it's cooked, 'specially if'n you want to fry the skin up for cracklins...

I think mustard is a great rub glue for pork. It adds a bit of flavor and it's also a lot cheaper than olive oil.

Long delay. A car accident the day after the grilling put my mom in the hospital for two months.

Thanks for all the advice; It turned out better than I expected. A couple of lessons learned:

Did ya take a propane torch and burn off those hairs> They won't be good after it's cooked, 'specially if'n you want to fry the skin up for cracklins...

Whoops. I didn't burn the hair off. I tried to grill it off once I peeled it off the shoulder, but it didn't work well... just charred the skin and partially burnt the hair. Suffice to say, no one was impressed with my cracklins, including me.

I think I need to let the kettle settle a little longer before I try and muck with the venting. Keeping it down at 250 proved troublesome without closing the vents all the way, at which point it would start to drop down below 250 quickly. Also, I didn't leave enough time to get it all the way to 190 internally (the meat thermometer had questionable accuracy). I got another one to try tomorrow - I'm aiming higher for this one.

WP_20130803_010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom