UDS smoke issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I've been having trouble getting good smoke rings in my UDS. I'm using Good-one lump with chunks of cherry and hickory. I have noticed that the drippings are almost extinguishing the lump and soaking the wood to the point it won't smoke or even smolder. The drums got one 3/4 vent open and will hold 225 steady. I'm considering so sort of heat shield over the fire basket. Any thoughts?

I'll try to take some new photos of the drum when I get a chance. I think the problem is in the intake, as the exhaust is the bung on the lid with an exaust tip attached. When I open up two of 3/4" intakes it'll run at 275-300 and do better on burning and give me some smoke ring. I'm planning on upgrading to black roll pipe with caps and valves to get control of the intake, as I'm just using knock outs like the BDS.

If that is it in your avatar then that gives me some idea. I have never really liked the flat lids. I have found that dome lids from a 22" kettle of one brand or another give much more room plus dripping don't fall right on the meat due to condensation.

I have never had issues with dome lids and two 3/4 intakes on either side. Most of the time the intakes are leas than 1/2 open. It's the equal air movement that makes the difference IMO.

Thats the smoker! I have considered putting a weber lid on it and adding another grate. But that drum needs the lip knocked off and I just haven't got around to it yet. It would be nice tohave room for beer can chickens, turkeys, or double up the amount of ribs. I did find a couple of posts in a google search from another forum that had guys running them with a single 3/4" hole wide open and the ball valve at about 1/2 with temps around 250. I could shrink the hole by using 1/2" pipe if you think that would help on the intakes?

Would not like to knock the lip off the barrel top. That is part of the structural integrity. .

I seen some fellas' and fellettes' cut it a little lower than the actual lip and reweld it into place so the dome lid fits nice and snug. No structicular damage done.

After reading Puff's post and getting a visual on that, I think that is the best idea I have read. I think I will do that on mine. I really didn't want to go messing with my weber lid so I have been using cheap ones so I could bend the lips out and reshape. Looks like caca when you do that.

Back
Top Bottom