UDS Reaches it's limits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great job Cliff.
Were the butts on the bottom grate to close to the fire or did they cook the same as the butts on the top grate. I'm thinking about adding a second grate too.

I will have lots of info to post a little later. I am going to be gone for a couple of hours.

Let me leave you with this teaser.

My brother-in-law told me that there was a full commercial kitchen in the Presidential suite where all this was going down.

At 11:00 pm, when I walked in, I was most impressed with the size of the fridge. There were three fridges in fact. I whipped up a big pan of slaw. I unpacked the butts and put them in the huge fridge.

Then it struck me...........THERE IS NO OVEN..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In this area you can see what I saw when I turned around to check out the oven or stove top, which ever was available.

Since I was prepared for either, I was a bit suprised to see nothing but plugins where stoves used to be.

After several options were discussed, including Crock Pot, Hotel kitchen oven, dishwasher ( I almost went this route ) and a microwave, I decided to nuke the unopened bags of pulled pork one at a time and just keep them coming until the crowd thinned out.

I had a couple of things in my favor:

1. The pork was not frozen.

2. The food saver bags were packed with about a 1/2 butt in each at 8" x 14"-16" and hand pressed to about a 1" thickness while vacuming. This made them very flexible when heated.

3. This was not a paid catering gig. Bologna sandwiches were available. :D

This worked out much better than I expected. The pulled pork turned out good. The foodsaver bags kept in the moisture. The flavor was still there but I am sure the microwave deminished the quality some.

We have all done this with small bags at home. After a couple of minutes in the micro they swell up like a bag of popcorn. A bag 14" long does not swell up like that. I kept looking for it to happen and it never happened. After two minutes I would take the bag out and worry it some. The ends would be the hottest point so I tried to work the ends down the bag some. Two more minutes and then cut open and dump into a pan for serving.

4 minutes total, on high with about 2 lbs of pork. This worked very well. I was able to judge when to heat another bag by how long the line was.

Here are some pics from my first large non profit catering gig.

Doing it this way enabled me to keep 7 of 14 unopened bags cold for the next day. And of those 7, I re-heated three of them using this same method tonight.

Here is a couple of pics of the inside of the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville.

You did good Cliff, nice job. That place is huge, I was there for a convention about 8-9 years ago; they charged me $10.00 a night to park on top of a huge room rate. :shock:

John A. said:
You did good Cliff, nice job. That place is huge, I was there for a convention about 8-9 years ago; they charged me $10.00 a night to park on top of a huge room rate. :shock:

It is $16.00 now. :shock:

No. I think I measured mine at 17" to the bottom of the fire grate. that puts it real close to the fire but I didn't have any problems. You need about 6" clearance. I think I did 7".

The fat from 8 butts dripping in the drum was causing me some misery. If I had left the lid off for any length of time I am sure a grease fire would have been forthcoming.

Towards the end of the cook I could see the entire bottom of my drum bubbling. I am going to clean it out tomorrow. I will see how big the mess is. I looked in it today but couldn't see anything that wasn't solidified.

I'll give it a shot. It would be more room for a beer can chicken or something that needs a little more room.

Puff said:
I'll give it a shot. It would be more room for a beer can chicken or something that needs a little more room.
Yeah those 40oz beers you drink in the Neighborhood..need alot of room.

Back
Top Bottom