two butts one big one small. what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gordon1

Senior Cook
looking for some opinions here.

I get the 2 packs from sams and try to eyeball that they are same size when buying. usually they are close enough. well that didn't work this time becuse I had to get the biggest package I could find.

one with fat cap was 9.5. the other with fat cap is 6.25

I trimmed the fat cap and most of the false cap on the big one and got it down to just under 8 pounds (7.95).

I'm doing these overnight in my WSM 18 for my buddy's birthday tomorrow. I need to leave the house by 4:30 ish, eating at 6ish.

my butts usually take closer to the 2 hour per pound range.
I planned to have them off by 2-3 to be safe and hold them in a cooler.

so should I leave fat cap on small one and put them on at the same time?

trim fat cap and put it on later?

trim and put them both on at same time and just plan to hold the small one longer?

I've held in a cooler for 5+ hours before safely. I prefer 4 or less but "it's done when it's done" and dinner time doesn't change based on that.

Gordon, I would trim them both the way you would like them, put them on at the same time and if one gets to temp before the other, wrap it in an extra layer of foil, a couple big towels and stick it in the cooler.

Dittos what Buzz said on the trimming. Get rid of all the surface fat you can..there is plenty more on the inside. I like to do a trick a nice yankee taught me one time of cooking two butts..one nekked and one wrapped..then when it come time to push and pull mix em 50/50 or 70/30 as the case may be. That give some best of both worlds ying and yang balance to the equation. Some soft some crunchy blah blah blah. If I was going to do this with the current pork in question..I would be tempted to wrap the small fry. That be starting at 170 or so. Kindly keeps us posted.

Put the smaller one on the bottom rack and the bigger one on the top. Top rack cools hotter then the bottom, they will finish close to each other. Let the unfinished one spend any additional time needed.

Put the smaller one on the bottom rack and the bigger one on the top.

did you say something? I was too busy staring at your avatar ;)

that is what I ended up doing. went on at ten and taking a while to get to temp but that's alright. I filled that sucker full (minion method).

little one is climbing out of the plateau! haven't even checked temp on big one yet.

went to bed about one chugging along at 225. woke up at eight at about 210. sitting at about 235 now.

I would just cook them like regular. If the small 1 finishes first it will still hold a long time in a cooler wrapped in a towel foiled.

Here is a thought , though a little late. When they reach the stall wrap the bigger one am not the smaller one and the bigger one may power past the stall and being them even? Never tried

Good Golly Miz Molly MUS..who is on first..lol. Could we have a Tex Mex interpreter over here plz? Gracias. I may wants to try this deal.
Hey Gordon sounds like things is under control. That Avatar in which you is madly in love is actually a short Movie of Nick himself. He got exposed to hormones as a young skull full of mush or something like that. Prob shot up the girl roids instead of the boy version. Who knows? Everybody loves Nick.

Ok..I will promise to be good and wash some fire trucks or something..lol. Just dont put the mobile breathalyter on the sled. That can get tedious from whut I heard.

Back
Top Bottom