Turkey Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1c1u1ktf]Great looking Turkey.

I see that in my near future. 8)

Did you have them sitting on a BBC ring? they look to be proped up on something.

They're staning on the rib bones of the breast, no ring.

I've been a fan of breasts proped up on rib bones for many years.[/quote:1c1u1ktf]

:shock:

ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1wddzidf]Great looking Turkey.

I see that in my near future. 8)

Did you have them sitting on a BBC ring? they look to be proped up on something.

They're staning on the rib bones of the breast, no ring.

I've been a fan of breasts proped up on rib bones for many years.[/quote:1wddzidf]
Now that's funny..

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Green Hornet":2t1rmgkb][quote="Larry Wolfe":2t1rmgkb][quote="Green Hornet":2t1rmgkb]Looks Great Larry,very tastey.
Just wondering about the brining. I have only done fish for short times, about an hour. Did you refridgerate them for the 12 hour brine? Looks like you have them in a big pot. I don't think I have that kind of space in my fridge, I want to try it, I love moist white Turkey meat :P

GH, I used food grade buckets from my wife's work. They're actually cake frosting buckets. You don't have to use a bucket or a refridgerator. You can put the brine in a small cooler and use a trash bag full of ice to keep it cold. You must keep it below 40* the whole time. Whatever you do, just make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine.[/quote:2t1rmgkb]Thanks, I didn't think that it would be good outside or room temp for that long. Can we expect Wolfe Brine in the future?[/quote:2t1rmgkb]

Great idea! I can see it now, all you do is add 3 gallons of water to packet of brine mix!!! Yes!![/quote:2t1rmgkb]
If it "takes off" Can I expect a small "tribute"? :LOL:

Do look mighty scrumptious Larry. Dont seem to find many of them unprocessed unmpumped turkey lurkey breastes in this part o the world. Most of the ones we get seems to be several chunks which has been pressed together..pumped and then covered with skin from who knows where. Good job.

bigwheel

Green Hornet said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1y8mdjiz][quote="Green Hornet":1y8mdjiz][quote="Larry Wolfe":1y8mdjiz][quote="Green Hornet":1y8mdjiz]Looks Great Larry,very tastey.
Just wondering about the brining. I have only done fish for short times, about an hour. Did you refridgerate them for the 12 hour brine? Looks like you have them in a big pot. I don't think I have that kind of space in my fridge, I want to try it, I love moist white Turkey meat :P

GH, I used food grade buckets from my wife's work. They're actually cake frosting buckets. You don't have to use a bucket or a refridgerator. You can put the brine in a small cooler and use a trash bag full of ice to keep it cold. You must keep it below 40* the whole time. Whatever you do, just make sure the turkey is fully submerged in the brine.[/quote:1y8mdjiz]Thanks, I didn't think that it would be good outside or room temp for that long. Can we expect Wolfe Brine in the future?[/quote:1y8mdjiz]

Great idea! I can see it now, all you do is add 3 gallons of water to packet of brine mix!!! Yes!![/quote:1y8mdjiz]
If it "takes off" Can I expect a small "tribute"? :LOL:[/quote:1y8mdjiz]

Sure GH, I'll call it Wolfe Rub "Green Hornet Brine"!

Larry Wolfe said:
Grocery store had fresh turkey breasts on sale for .99lb, so I picked up two 7lbers. Brined in my simple brine recipe that I've been using for years, overnight. Smoked around 250* using Kingsford and hickory chunks and pulled at 160*. Very moist and tender! So so much better than the pumped birds from the store.

About how long did it take for them to get to 160?

Did you wrap at any point?

LowRent said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Grocery store had fresh turkey breasts on sale for .99lb, so I picked up two 7lbers. Brined in my simple brine recipe that I've been using for years, overnight. Smoked around 250* using Kingsford and hickory chunks and pulled at 160*. Very moist and tender! So so much better than the pumped birds from the store.

About how long did it take for them to get to 160?

Did you wrap at any point?

It took approximately 4.5hrs. Never foiled it, just tented with foil to let rest.

Larry Wolfe said:
It took approximately 4.5hrs. Never foiled it, just tented with foil to let rest.

Great. So, you could do this in the morning and be eating it for lunch. I'm going to try this soon--maybe this weekend.

Why did you select 250 as apposed to say 225?

LowRent said:
Larry Wolfe said:

Great. So, you could do this in the morning and be eating it for lunch. I'm going to try this soon--maybe this weekend.

Why did you select 250 as apposed to say 225?

I cook everything that I smoke with a dome temp in the 250* range, give or take 10* or so. It's a good temp that works on everything so I stick to it. Don't necessarily see any advantage to going any lower.

Larry Wolfe said:
I cook everything that I smoke with a dome temp in the 250* range, give or take 10* or so. It's a good temp that works on everything so I stick to it. Don't necessarily see any advantage to going any lower.

OK. Sounds good to me.

Green Hornet said:
But then again...like the ol Smuckers ad......with a name like THAT it HAS to be good!

[smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_bravo.gif]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom