Turkey Breast, WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice looking bird and dog!! I have a yellow lab too. I've had blacks and a chocolate and the yellow has been by far the best one of them all!

Larry Wolfe said:
Nice looking bird and dog!! I have a yellow lab too. I've had blacks and a chocolate and the yellow has been by fart the best one of them all!

Larry, I'm a little concerned that you judge your dogs by their farts!

kjs, I've never noticed a ham taste on my birds. It looked great though!

great lookinf bird. I havent noticed tha ham taste on one before. My dog sits and waits patiently when she sees the chimney come out. she loves to lick up any rub that may hit the ground.

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":m11ihj75]Nice looking bird and dog!! I have a yellow lab too. I've had blacks and a chocolate and the yellow has been by fart the best one of them all!

Larry, I'm a little concerned that you judge your dogs by their farts!

kjs, I've never noticed a ham taste on my birds. It looked great though![/quote:m11ihj75]

Ooops.... :oops:

Just an early warning, this will not morph into a thread about dogs or flatulence.

Good looking turkey, was the breast fresh or was it enhanced? Did you use a rub on it before cooking?

kjs said:
I was sort of under the assumption that it must have been the salt. I believe I used kosher, which may have been a mistake.

I also didn't rinse the brine off, I just patted it dry. In retrospect, the parts that tasted "hammiest" were the parts I probably didn't dry too well.

I did use just the brine, no rub. Cheesecloth and then melted butter/oil to get it brown. As for the brine, I may have come up short on ginger, I don't know if that would have counteracted the saltiness. Believe me the ham tasting part was good!

I'm not sure about the type of bird, I just got it at BJs.... without reading too much.

As for wood, I just used cherry as I didn't have apple. I used it sparingly as well.

I really only brined it overnight, and I only let it rest out of brine for a half a day or so.

When I brine I don't bother rinsing the bird off prior to cooking. I did it a couple times and never really could tell a difference so I just pull the turkey from the bucket of brine and put directly onto the cooker. Couple things that come to mind that would have given the turkey the hammy taste. All the salt may not have been disolved and the bird could have been resting right ontop of the undissolved salt, thus concentrating all the salt in one area. And/or the turkey was "self basting"already injected with broth and salt solution.

Back
Top Bottom