Turkey and Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I did a 16lb turkey on the WSM using KF and apple wood and I also did a ham on the Primo Jr. using RO and apple wood. I made a glaze for the ham with butter, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon and dark rum. Turned out to be the best ham I've ever made!

Captain Morgan said:
Ham looked fantastic..good presentation on the bird.

Thanks Jim! I hope I can remember the glaze recipe. Here's approximately what it is if anyone is interested.

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup Dark Rum
1 cup Brown sugar
1 TBS Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minutes.

These are all estimates, but should be pretty close to make it good!

Larry, can you give some info on how long the ham takes to cook and what temp to cook at, to cook it to, and if it needs resting etc? That looks so good I'd love to do one for Christmas this year.

Thanks!

Gomer said:
Larry, can you give some info on how long the ham takes to cook and what temp to cook at, to cook it to, and if it needs resting etc? That looks so good I'd love to do one for Christmas this year.

Thanks!

Hi Gomer, thanks!

It was a Smithfield "Ready Cook" butt portion ham that I trimmed a good bit of the fat off of, but left enough to keep moist. I cooked at 225* until the internal temp hit 120*, then I basted with it's natural juices and continued to cook. Once it hit 125* I basted with the glaze every 15 minutes until the internal temp hit 145*. Let rest for minimum 15 minutes then slice. If you try it let me know what you think and how it turns out!

Larry, I will definitely have pics and info for you after xmas, I am going to try this for sure I love ham.

Looks great Larry. I am going to have to try and do the ham.

Thanks for the tips/recipe

Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom