Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
We got a late start but I managed to toss on a couple of ABT’s , two fatties and a turkey. We are going to have some green beans that I tossed the smoked neck bone from the bird I just did and some cornbread. Berry Pie for dessert. No pics of the ABT’s we were hungry. Here’s a pic of the turkey, I smoked it on Buford with Cherry wood.

Cliff H. said:
How long did you have to smoke the bird? It looks really moist.
Cliff I figure about 45 min to 1 hr a pound. You want to take the temp to 175* in the thigh. I don't remember what this one weighed but it took about 8 hrs to cook.

john pen said:
wittdog said:
Here’s a pic of the turkey, I smoked it on Buford with Cherry wood.

Wtf....did your WSM break ???
8-[
John I’m still kind of partial to that stick burner. I haven’t had much time to play with the WSM. I’m going to make some Griff loaf this week on it. I’m also going to try to build a wind screen for both.

Did you brine the bird? I started brining about a decade (hate getting old :badgrin: ) ago and think that is the only way to go with turkeys. I also usually put 2 -3 strips of bacon over the breast, helps to keep is moist...hell, maybe its just a pork fat thing.

Anyway, you bird sure looks good. :grin:
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
Did you brine the bird? I started brining about a decade (hate getting old :badgrin: ) ago and think that is the only way to go with turkeys. I also usually put 2 -3 strips of bacon over the breast, helps to keep is moist...hell, maybe its just a pork fat thing.

Anyway, you bird sure looks good. :grin:
DATsBBQ

No I didn’t brine the bird. I’ll have to give that a shot sometime. I have never brined a bird, most of the one’s around here are already injected with a Salt water solution :-X . I would like to try brining sometime. What percentage do you use.? Laying bacon on the breasts sounds good. What I did to keep it moist was to mop it with some chicken broth, oil, water, and seasonings. I also tend to cook the turkey at a higher temp 275* than what I would normally do on Buford.

I only buy the cheap turkeys, no solution added.
I think is 1 part kosher salt, 4 parts water but I'll look it up. I sometimes also toss some juniper berries into the mix.
DATsBBQ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom