Trout smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
My buddy (yea, I have one) dropped a mess of fresh caught trout off tonight. I want to smoke them tomorrow for a weekend party coming up in a few weeks at his winery.
I need suggestions on how long and what temp to smoke at.

What kind of trout and how big are they? Basically, you'll need a couple hours in brine and then smoke time will depend on the temp and size of the fish.

Like Griff said but trout doesn't have the oils like salmon so I smoke to lower finish temps than salmon (140 to 145 internal) after that it will dry out.

The heads are off, but I'd guess they were 16 to 18 " long and maybe 3/4# Browns.
Gottcha on the brine and temp. Do I smoke to an internal temp or length of time?

I used the brine called out in that Kutera (or what ever his name is) guy's sausage and curing book. Man, did that ever suck big time. Pulled the trout fillets off the smoker and tasted them. It was just like salt mackerel.
The neighbors cat was standing there, so I picked it up and licked it's ass to get the taste out of my mouth. Crap, crap, crap! :evil: :evil:

Bummer.

Trout need only brine 60-75 min. I use a base of 3.5 T DC kosher to 1 qt water, then flavor it with lemon zest, crushed fresh parsley, a fresh bay leaf, a thyme sprig, crushed coriander, crushed green peppercorns and some granulated onion. Rinse briefly after brining, pat dry, then air dry on cooling racks. I very lightly sprinkle on ground coriander, gran onion, ground white pepper, powdered lemon zest and the tiniest bit of salt while the fish air dry.

Got more trout?

I have just got detail how to smoke Trout. This item is quite costly in the grocery stores. I saw smoked salmon selling for about $8.00 for 8 oz. You can never be too careful when it comes to smoking trout. I wound up coming home with only a single fish from my outing yesterday so I decided to try an experiment - smoking a trout. I know, normally trout.

Back
Top Bottom