Trial run-Backwoods Joe Rub

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
Doin a nice chuck taday fer supper. Tryin out a new rub of mine, callin it Bacwoods Joe, got coffee in it, see how it works out, should be perty good on beef.

Q-view ta foller!

The Q-view

Here's the finished chuck, Got a nice color on it.

img_177324_0_536f05a6e182fee1f18ffa7f274bd85b.jpg

There be some smoke ring, not real deep but it's there, Still adaptin ta cookin times an temps after insulatin the smoker. Really heps hold the heat in better.

img_177324_1_7df3a8080f92d83711e6c51300d5973b.jpg

Don't know what the shadow is, maybe a ghost checkin out some q?

Got good flavor, I'll keep a tweakin the Backwoods Joe rub some, It's good fer a first run!

Well that gray spot looks a bit mysterious. How long did you leave it sitting out? Hope that aint some kinda fungus on there. I heard just today about a big outbreak of Salmonello on the guv'ment sponsored Peanut Butter program. Reckon that could jump over to a chuck? Now we speaking steak or roast here? Whut be the difference twixt a thick steak or a thin roast? Whut was the grade etc.? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff if you dont mind putting up with nosey folks of course. :LOL: Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well that gray spot looks a bit mysterious. How long did you leave it sitting out? Hope that aint some kinda fungus on there. I heard just today about a big outbreak of Salmonello on the guv'ment sponsored Peanut Butter program. Reckon that could jump over to a chuck? Now we speaking steak or roast here? Whut be the difference twixt a thick steak or a thin roast? Whut was the grade etc.? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff if you dont mind putting up with nosey folks of course. :LOL: Thanks.

bigwheel

It be there "Steak House Select" chuck roast. I thin that grey shadow was either from it bein warm, I took the pic bout 15 er 20 min after it came out a the smoker er it might be from the sun, the table be by a big winder. Back in the day, this woulda been a steak, but they don't cut meat like they used ta. True roast be hard ta find anymore. Folk don't know the difference so they just buy it an take the super stores word on it.

Very tastey an juicy I will say.

Yeah Hillybilly I just poking your eye and pushing your laig a little on the grey spot. Mighta been some drunk Hilly Billy who get his greasy thumb print on the camera lens:) Who knows or cares? Now I normally consider chuck a wet cooked type food best left to the wimmen in the house..or else run through the grinder for some good burgers or chili meat. Don't even get me started on stew. I take chuck anyday for that. Well the warden happen to bump into these CAB grade chuck "steaks supposedly" which was on the verge of the expiry date. Cooked em like a Ribeye and they come out great..nice n tender etc. Off the charts flavorful. Thinking you bumped into something close to that. Do you buy it at Albertsons by any chance? Know they have some kinda proprietary brand which supposed to turn Select into Kobe..or some other such nonsense. Tom Thumb (Safeway) calls their counterpart Rancher's Reserve. Guess it designed to land in betwixt Select and Choice. Supoosed to leave it hanging two weeks extry or something like that. Know it a lot cheaper than CAB which sorta skeers me. Might save some grief for a person to drive over to Sams and buy Choice. I know Choice sirloins from there are edible without breaking out the pressure cooker. Whutcha think?

bigwheel

Got these at china mart (aka walmart) ain't got a decent butcher shop round these parts no more. Our feller retired bout geez 8 years ago? Sad day that was! We got a couple round here what calls themselves a meat locker, ain't nothin but prepacked stuff fer them that don't know no better.

Be why I'm tryin ta revive some a the old ways round here. Makin bacon, hams an such. Folk er learnin. I just can't get to big to fast cause I ain't gonna quit the state job, got to many years in ta give it up now.

Figure this be a nice side after I retire.

The meat at china mart ain't to bad ifin ya pick through it. I ain't buyin there tyson spareribs, they suck! Buy Smithfield ribs when I can get em.

Fraid the old days er goin fast, folk interested in fast an easy, not always good. Sure do miss the good ol days!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom