Tri-Tip help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looked great Diva. I've also seen them cooked the direct method over coals on one of those Santa Maria style grills where you can raise or lower the meat rack over the coals while cooking.

Is tri-tip the cut you ask for from a butcher or does it go by a different name? Thanks in advance for the answer!

brian j said:
diva - check out this thread. there is a really good tri tip rub posted by boar_d_laze. basically cook it hot and fast like you would any beef roast and take it up to your desired temp.

I used that rub on a tri-tip I did awhile back and cook it like Brian says. Mine turned out great and I had extra rub leftover

looks great Diva!

I prefer a good tri-tip over a flank steak

Tri- Tip

Hey Diva,

Try this, I have found this one to work best for me, of course I am not from California.

Rub the Tri-Tip with your favorite rub/seasoning. Fire up your grill and get it really hot (just like you would a steak) and sear each side for 2-4 mins each, getting those great grill marks on each side as well as some good carmelization from the rub.

While at the same time get the smoker going and get it up to about 225-250. Place the seared Tri-Tip into the smoker and let it smoke/cook to about 130. Take out and let rest for about 30 mins under a foil tent.

Then you need to make sure that you cut against the grain and thin (think brisket). It is awesome.

Make sure you dont overcook it or you will have an expensive pot roast...

Kloset BBQR said:
Is tri-tip the cut you ask for from a butcher or does it go by a different name? Thanks in advance for the answer!

Dallas a good butcher should know what it is. If not you can ask for a whole bottom sirloin roast which is where the tri tip comes from.

Here's more information from my buddy Steve Graves a retired butcher and knows anything you will ever need or want to know about meat!

http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/inde ... 1119903292

....If you ask for the whole sirloin roast, you'll get the tri-tip and then some. The tri-tip is also known as the bottom sirloin roast.

Tim

I like them rare so I pull them at 120º - 125º, they will go up another 5º while resting. If others want it a little more done I pop theirs in the micro for a few seconds, that's all it takes.

Back
Top Bottom