tri tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="Diva Q":22u68l6s]I have never had tri tip and never heard of tri tip till I came to this board.

Certainly something for me to search out by the sounds of it.

Diva, I will bring up a roast for the Oink if you promise to be there. ;)[/quote:22u68l6s]

Ok Bill,

You better bring the Tri tip. I will be bringing the ABT's

With steak we always seek that perfect balance of tenderness and flavor. There are, of course, a wide variety of cuts available -- most of which have their own charms and challenges. In no way am I disparaging Filet Mignon, Porterhouse, New York, etc. As I said, they all have their charms.
To my sensibilities, the two that come closest to representing the ideal balance are steaks cut at least an 1" thick from the 6 center bones of the rib primal (that's why it's called "prime rib" by the way, not because it's Prime meat, but because it's taken from the "prime" part of the rib) are the rib steak; and steaks cut either from the "top block," or the so called "chateaubriand" taken from the top sirloin primal and each cut at least 2" thick.

Much as I like tri-tip, on the minus it has to carved in a particular way to a narrow range of thickness to avoid stringy-toughness because it is a striated (grained) muscle -- somewhat like brisket.

FWIW, when the tri is "steaked," most butcher shops and restaurants call it "culotte steak," and make a big deal out of their being "only two culottes per animal." (If you look at an entire bottom sirloin you can see how the tips separate into little "legs" which is why it's called "culotte.") I believe the culotte term is common practice in our Neighbor to the North -- but am not completely sure, eh? Anyway, steaking allows a butcher to charge a pretty penny for the culotte, which to some measure compensates for a) the loss of the narrow end which must be thrown into the stewing or grinding piles; and b) the unfamiliarity of the butcher and her customers with appropriate methods for displaying, cooking and serving the tri-tip. Butchers who buy by the case instead of the whole or side don't get stuck with weird pieces which are more profitably shipped to California anyway.

Speaking of California, it seems as though the great ride we had with tri-tip is just about over. Prices have increased sharply. Due partly to the general increase in meat prices, sure. But mostly to the fact that tri-tip has become salable continent wide.

It bears repeating that top sirloin and tri-tip are very similar on the plate once carved. Tri edges in taste, top scores in texture, with top the slight overall winner. I buy and serve strictly by price, i.e., whichever's on sale. Just make sure you ask your butcher to cut the top at least 2" thick. It might take some persuading, as most butchers aren't used to it.

Rich

Damn -- last thing

If you're not cooking the tri on a big ol' "Santa Maria" (man that chaps my ass) grill -- but:

On a Weber kettle or something similar -- you're going to have to use a different strategy. Do whatever it is you do to get a little oak in there. Start with a sear directly over the coals and when you've got a bark or crust going, move the meat off the coals, get the cover on, and finish indirect with one turn, but without a drip pan, to a pull temp of 125 - 130.

On a mid-sized console grill such as my BBC Charcoal, CB 940x,a Hasty Bake or something similar -- bank a crap-load of coals mixed with oak chunk on either side, and spread a thin layer of coals in the middle. You're looking for about medium heat grill temp. Shift your cast iron grates (if you've got 'em) so the blazing hot ones are in the center, and put the steak on over the middle coals, and shut the cover -- vents wide open. After 2 minutes to get a tattoo, turn the steak over and let the real cooking begin. The next turn will come at about 15 minutes probably. Refresh the center coals by moving some off the banks through the grill's belly door. By this time your fire temp will have ramped down, and you should figure about 20 to 25 minutes to rare/medium-rare. But push test for doneness to make sure you don't go beyond medium-rare. Tri-tip is a striated muscle, and gets dense and stringy when overcooked.

Diva Q said:
[quote="Bill The Grill Guy":1apsu4k0][quote="Diva Q":1apsu4k0]I have never had tri tip and never heard of tri tip till I came to this board.

Certainly something for me to search out by the sounds of it.

Diva, I will bring up a roast for the Oink if you promise to be there. ;)[/quote:1apsu4k0]

Ok Bill,

You better bring the Tri tip. I will be bringing the ABT's[/quote:1apsu4k0]

Wahoo, Diva is comming to the Oink. [smilie=a_bravo.gif] [smilie=a_goodjob.gif] [smilie=a_partyguy.gif]

I wont be hard to find, I'll be with Wittdog [smilie=a_withstupid.gif]

Puff said:
brian j said:
Puff said:
Bri I am shocked......you know the rules ;)
Pony up those pics son 8)
i had guests over and the camera never came out. :oops:
Well..No pics................I won't say it ;)
That is right! Yer guest will get used to the idea of you taking pictures of the food. Take pics of the people too and they won't think yer wierd....or too wierd at least. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom