Traegers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
Got my new Traegers in and have them mounted on a trailer. Still have a little touch up work to do, but will be ready to go for the competition next weekend! Never cooked on one, so hope that they are easy to use!

about the easiest cooker in the world to use. Flip the switch to the 'on' position, and wait for the food to finish cooking. Referred to as an Easy Bake oven for good reason!

From everything ya read, shouldn't be a problem cookin on em...
Good luck next week-end!
dj

Well congrats looks like a great configuration. That way you and mama can both cook. Ya know one of the bad raps for pellet munchers is they dont get enough smoke flavor to the meat. Old chum who owns and sells em say he always start out with about an hour or two of all smoke and no heat before he cranks it up to temps. If you run into the light smoke problemo..might give that strategy a try. Also..dont get the pellets wet while they in the hopper. Knew a fella who had to send his Pink Pig back to factory cuz he got drunk and left the lid up in a rainstorm. Got the pellets wet and he delayed cleaning it out. Them pellets turn into a solid block of portland cement under them conditions. Best of fortunes to ya. They claim you can run those things off a car/MH batttery and an inverter if you dont want to have to crank the generator and aint got no electric hookups.

bigwheel

Thanks! I have enough space in the middle that I can use one of the 6 foot white tables to stradle the trailer and use as a work space between the two. Even better...I left enough space in the middle to add a third one if I wanted to down the road.... but I haven't mentioned that to the wife yet! :shock:

Gonna put some chicken on in a little while to see what it does. I did the seasoning process and it all seems pretty simple! As for the smoke, if I don't get enough smoke in the meat, I can always pre-cook on my big smoker for a few hours and then switch over to the traegers for the long haul until done, but these things so far have a lot of smoke they put out. I was really suprised. I have them in the garage with both doors open and you can smell hickory everywhere!

Well thats great. Might depend on what kinda wood a person is using as to the stoutness of the smoke flavor..but they have real kewlish all smoke no heat setting which should be for good something. Cold smoking maybe.

bigwheel

Keep an eye on the pellets. They feed straight down from the middle but tend to stick to the sides on that model. After a while they look like a whirlpool and you have to give the pellets a stir.

Just remember to stir the pelets every once in a while. The hopper will go dry unless you keep hurding them in the middle. At least thats what I found out.

I noticed that last night cooking the chicken that the pellets feed from the middle. Gonna be sure and keep them stirred for the long cooks this weekend on the briskette and butts. Came home after work and found a lonely little chicken leg left in the fridge from last night.... that is like finding gold with 3 kids in the house! The chicken did really great. Real juicy and definitely a smoke flavor!

Back
Top Bottom