Traeger Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
For the traeger owners out there I have a question. I smoked 6 butts last night and I split them between the 2 traegers. I ran them at 225. When I would check on them through the night, they were reading 230 to 250. The butts were about 8 pounds each. They were done by 5:30 am, so I am cooking about an hour a pound. Does the traeger have a convection thing going on with the fan and forced air that would cause the meat to cook faster than my regular stick burner? Has anyone just put them on "smoke" setting and let them cook the entire time on that?

thanks!

chuck

The other day my 'Lil Tex ran on the 225 setting and temps ranged from 195°F to 280°F on the readout (it was about 74°F and slightly breezy). I'm assuming there is a variance as to how many pellets fall into the firepot on a given cycle. For the most part it hovers between 210 and 250 on the 225 setting.

I have noticed it takes a little longer to cook ribs than on my WSM.

I did cook a packer brisket on smoke one time before I switched to the digital readout control board, it took forever. I believe the manual says the smoke setting is approximately 180-200°F.

Hi Chuck,

In regards to your butts - If you have a butt close to the probe inside the traeger it will run hotter. If you space them out more keeping a butt away from the interior probe they will bbq much slower. It all has to do with how many turns the auger is making. Yes it is convection cooking typically. The design will give you a much more moist product which depending on the interior fats of the butts will run them faster.

The smoke setting is 180-200 typically on a standard p setting from the factory. It will take forever LOL.

thanks for the info! I am loving my Traegers! I feel bad because my stick burner is just sitting under the shed, but it is so much easier with the Traegers! I can work all day and still do a cook job when I get home and sleep during the night!

Traegers

nakedpigbbq said:
thanks for the info! I am loving my Traegers! I feel bad because my stick burner is just sitting under the shed, but it is so much easier with the Traegers! I can work all day and still do a cook job when I get home and sleep during the night!

FWIW- the butts that I showed above I did on my Traeger, I set it at 225 and it will run up to around 250 and as low as 200. I don't think there is a fan, the motor turns the auger, and the fire shield spreads out the heat. I had my butts, 8-9#'s on for 15 hrs at night & in the am, internal temp came up to around 200-205.
Btw I love mine so easy to use. I put my butts on at 9 pm, took them off around noon for a 230 tailgate, worked out pretty well, got a good nights sleep.

Traegers

don't know too much about comps, but most Traegers need a power (110) source to turn the auger, I don't know if this would be a violation or not. I think you could run an inverter off a car battery for the 110, but you might check with someone other than me.

I use a 150 at competitions. Its never a problem. We also use a lil tec and a JR occasionally I also bring the pig with me,
we have a back up generator as well.

**This msg from Diva Q LOL

A battery/inverter combo will run a Traeger, and will cause less of an annoyance than generator noise, FWIW.

Well the wife and I talked it over no Traeger for now ,no generator needed with the set up we have. Ah well maybe some day. Will be sticking to useing our WSM`s.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom