Traeger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mar52

Senior Cook
If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Any Traeger owners out there?

What do you think of them? Recommend them?

I just got the line and don't really know what to say about them.

Any tips?

Should I get one? (as if I have the room)

Any info appreciated!

Hopefully Diva Q will chime in, she owns at least one Traeger, I don't think she'll say anything bad about it.

So you need a Traeger and a back up generator!

Waiting for the Diva.

I'm thinking I'll have to demo them to sell them.

Looking forward to some good lunches!

I have had a Traeger for 10 years, it's a mobile unit with 80 sq ft of grates space so it's had a lot of Q through it. Will say that the fuel is a pain to store and Traegers are not very easy on fuel consumption.

The Ole Hickory I picked up last June produces better product.

I would pick a Fast Eddie before getting another Traeger, lot of good things about an insulated pit.

Jim

Traeger?

I am a Stick Burner, but I do have a Traeger out there, too. If you like a set and forget smoker, Traeger does a great job.
I get REALLY bored using it. Nothing to do but DRINK WHISKEY.
Not a bad thing, but I drink Whiskey while I am stick burning anyway.
For somone that doesn't need the challenge of tending a fire, they are good smokers.
Far, I like a far!!!!!!
PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!

mar52 said:
If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Any Traeger owners out there?

What do you think of them? Recommend them?

I just got the line and don't really know what to say about them.

Any tips?

Should I get one? (as if I have the room)

Any info appreciated!

I have a Traeger model 124 and can tell you this; sell them as a smoker, NOT as a grill. They just do not get hot enough to sear a steak. After following the factories instructions and modifying mine the hottest I can get it to is 410º. They do a good job as a smoker.

I have two traegers and I use them all the time as a smoker and a grill. No problems with either.

I will state that I am somwhat biased that I am sponsored by Traeger. However i had a Traeger first then the sponsorship afterwards.

I find 410-425 is plenty hot enough to sear a steak as well. It is my understanding with the research I have done that the meat surface needs to reach at least 300F at any time in regards to the Maillard reaction. Additionally moisture loss increases with searing however its a toss up on the flavour which is obtained by searing. Basically what I am saying is that you don't need a 700 F grill to accomplish this. It can be accomplished with Traegers as long as you understand it may take an additional 3-4 minutes.

Traegers also produce a much more moisture filled heat. Its the design.

As anyone can see from my pics throughout the winter (-28--35) I don't have a problem cooking on the Traeger in cold temps. Both hold he heat well. (Big & lil Tex) I don't see any additional benefit vs the Fast Eddy and know a few who own them as well. Both are good products for sure.

Yes you need a generator if you are going to compete with them. That and the pellets. I like the option of switiching the different flavours of pelllets too and coming up with my own combos.

They are great for long and short cooks. I don't have much bad to say about them at all. I have had some great success competing with them.

I also own 2 WSM's and love those as well.

From my experience with Traegers, I have found them to be a very nice unit, if you are interested in a pellet cooker. Be advised, though, that they use a serious amount of fuel in cold, or wind. I have used a water heater blanket over the cooker to cut down on fuel use.

I like to use my Lil' Pig for chicken, pork chops, kebabs, that sort of thing. It also makes great brisket - however the clock needs to be set to top up the fuel often.

I would not consider using a Traeger to grill anything as it does not, in my opion and experience, get hot enough. I prefer to use other cookers that allow more ease in reaching searing temps. I also prefer the flavor of food grilled over lump with some wood chunks tossed in for added flavor.

Oh, and the only real comparison between a Traeger and a Fast Eddy/Cookshack, (and I use both cookers and have generous sponsorship for my team from both companies), is that they both make great food, and they both use pellets as fuel - other than that, there is no comparison.

For the record, I am not talking about a FEC100 but a new unit Eddie has designed and is in the process of bringing to the market in conjunction with Cookshack.

I have seen this unit go from 170º to 675º on a Tel-Tru dome thermometer in 5-6 minutes with my own eyes, not hearsay. Heat recovery when cooking is extremely fast. Unlike other mini stick burners this units hood is well insulated.

This appears to be the first, and to the best of my knowledge the only, unit capable of being a grill and a smoker.

John A. said:
For the record, I am not talking about a FEC100 but a new unit Eddie has designed and is in the process of bringing to the market in conjunction with Cookshack.

I have seen this unit go from 170º to 675º on a Tel-Tru dome thermometer in 5-6 minutes with my own eyes, not hearsay. Heat recovery when cooking is extremely fast. Unlike other mini stick burners this units hood is well insulated.

This appears to be the first, and to the best of my knowledge the only, unit capable of being a grill and a smoker.

That is one slick pit that I would like to here more about. Backwoods has had the smoker/grill thing going for awhile now though. I'm torn between the Chubby or this one. Tell me more.

Also Stumps has the Tailgator that can also do both.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm actually going to be selling the Traegers. Getting one for myself was a silly afterthought.

Good to know that they don't give you sear marks. It's better telling my customers about that on the get go.

Sear marks don't taste better, but they're expectecd.

John A. said:

Yes, I have heard the stories . . . now wanna meet the cooker. It's saaaaweeeeet!!

I am interviewing Fast Eddy on the internet radio show this coming Tuesday...I was going to ask him about this new grill I have been seeing around! 8)

Greg,

Some questions for Eddie. Last time I spoke with him they were shooting for (1) an April rollout and (2) had not decided whether or not to do a stainless model. Also (3), prices had not been established at that time

Perhaps, we could have some call ins and ask the questions live to Eddy on the show...any one interested in doing that...I can join calls in to my interview to allow that!

Ask Eddy about the new pig cooker they are designing and some of the new features they are including,like the factory built in inverter and other goodies.
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom