Tough town for Butt (updated with Pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At 225 degrees I've never had one take less than two hours per pound in my Smokin Tex to get to an internal temp of 200 degrees.

oct_97 said:
At 225 degrees I've never had one take less than two hours per pound in my Smokin Tex to get to an internal temp of 200 degrees.

Yep, I always estimate 2hrs/lb for pulled pork on a fresh roast.

What kind of wood and rub are you using ?

You are right, that is kind of a light bark.

I have never clicked on a thumbnail does what that second one is doing before. :shock:

Kimmal,

I don't know if you are going to foil it or not but once you remove it from the smoker double wrap it in foil and wrap with a towel and place in a dry cooler (igloo). It will stay hot for a very long time. You can probably hold it for 4 hours like that maybe longer. I've held it for about 2 1/2 hours and it was still hot.

I use a lot of rub on butts. I really get a good coating on all sides except the bottom fat layer. It usually stays stuck to the grate anyhow. It IS painfull but I use up a small bottle on one butt.

Yes, you still foil it and towel wrap and place in a dry cooler after the 195 or as oompappy said 199. I haven't taken one to 199 before myself but I'm sure oompappy's experience is fine also. Butts are hard to mess up.

If you are using water in the pan that may be the reason but I'm not sure. I use sand in the water pan. I just finished making a Piedmont Pan that I'm posting in a little while.

I leave the bone in while it's resting.
It won't really "pop" out but will pull out clean with a little twist & tug when the meat is done.

Back
Top Bottom