Tomorrows cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Well just got back from BJ’s and I scored a 6 lb brisket flat, and 2 bone in Boston butts. I plan on putting the WSM to the test tomorrow. I am marina ding the brisket in the Dallas Dandy recipe from Smoke and Spice, I did not add the evil liquid smoke but did add a can of Guinness instead of the lone star beer. I injected the butts with a mix of apple juice, cider vinegar, worch and fresh lemon juice. One of the butts I slathered in Mustard and rubbed the other I just rubbed. I’m interested to see if there is and how much of a difference the mustard makes. I’m planning on using sand in the pan and cooking with some Kingsford and chucks of hickory and cherry. I plan on the brisket being of the bottom grate and the butts on the top. I haven’t decided if I’m going to fire up the WSM in the morning or fire it up before I go into work and let my wife check on it during the night.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be open to them seeing how this is my first significant cook on my WSM. I also scored some stainless steal grill baskets for like $6 my wife made me get 3. They looked to good to pass up.

You go dog, sounds like a good cook to me. About the wife and the "while I am at work" thing, are you sure you want to do that? :!:
Good luck and post pics.

wittdog said:
Well just got back from BJ’s and I scored a 6 lb brisket flat, and 2 bone in Boston butts. I plan on putting the WSM to the test tomorrow. I am marina ding the brisket in the Dallas Dandy recipe from Smoke and Spice, I did not add the evil liquid smoke but did add a can of Guinness instead of the lone star beer. I injected the butts with a mix of apple juice, cider vinegar, worch and fresh lemon juice. One of the butts I slathered in Mustard and rubbed the other I just rubbed. I’m interested to see if there is and how much of a difference the mustard makes. I’m planning on using sand in the pan and cooking with some Kingsford and chucks of hickory and cherry. I plan on the brisket being of the bottom grate and the butts on the top. I haven’t decided if I’m going to fire up the WSM in the morning or fire it up before I go into work and let my wife check on it during the night.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be open to them seeing how this is my first significant cook on my WSM. I also scored some stainless steal grill baskets for like $6 my wife made me get 3. They looked to good to pass up.

I wouldn't be so confident with the WSM yet to leave it and let "my" wife at least watch it! LOL If you wake up or get home early enough I'd start it then, figure you're going to need at least 12 hours probably more for the butts. Other than that, it sounds like you've got a perfect long cook ready to go!

brian j said:
i'm jealous you're cooking all that meat and not me. maybe i'll thaw the brisket i have in the freezer and cook it sunday.

have fun and keep an eye on buford. he may not like the wsm getting all the attention. :D
Brian it's time to thaw that brisket. I will be feeding Buford soon enough. My wife has wanted brisket so I needed to justify the WSM purchase. Beside's my WSM doesn't have that smokey smell yet.
If I use sand do I have to worry about the sand getting hot and overcooking the brisket on the bottom grate? I usually cook my brisket with the fat cap up, should I do it down this time or sick with the water in the pan?

wittdog said:

Wittdog, The only suggestion that I have is to send me an invite! You can't possible eat all that food!

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:

Wittdog, The only suggestion that I have is to send me an invite! You can't possible eat all that food!
Nick if you left now...............

After some frantic activity I managed to get the butts and brisket on the WSM. I decided to use water in the pan. I just got the WSM temp regulated my top grate is a 230*. The brisket is on the bottom grate with the fat cap down which is a first for me, the butts are on the top grate with the fat cap up. Here are some pics of the cook in progress.

Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!

Looking good brother!! You have a day of lazy cooking ahead of you!!! Pack the cooler and the lawn chair and kick back and relax, the hard parts done!!

The Joker said:
Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!

Bill I thought you had a better palate than that. How long is it going to be before I have to refill the water pan?
I’m also doing some chicken thighs for lunch for me and the boys. I'm going to indirect grill them =P~ I sure am hungry.

wittdog said:
The Joker said:

Bill I thought you had a better palate than that. How long is it going to be before I have to refill the water pan?
I’m also doing some chicken thighs for lunch for me and the boys. I'm going to indirect grill them =P~ I sure am hungry.
LOL I do now but back then, I'd drink almost anything. Hell, I even liked Genessee beer back then! :eek:

The Joker said:
wittdog said:
[quote="The Joker":96zn7czm]Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!

LOL I do now but back then, I'd drink almost anything. Hell, I even liked Genessee beer back then! :eek:[/quote:96zn7czm]
When I was in college I got home sick and bought a case of Genny Cream Pounders. I think I could have bought a case of Labatts for the price I paid for it.

The Joker said:
wittdog said:
[quote="The Joker":3as43ou4]Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!

LOL I do now but back then, I'd drink almost anything. Hell, I even liked Genessee beer back then! :eek:[/quote:3as43ou4]

Genesse Cream Ale is good stuff!!

Dave if you're using the Weber water pan, it will be several hours (3-4). Make sure you add the hottest water you can in order to prevent heat sinks and prolonged cooking times. If you plan on using water over sand get a Brinkmann charcoal pan and use that as the water pan. It holds twice as much water and most of the time does not need to be refilled during a cook.

On the water pan question, I'm not sure ~ I haven't used water or sand for years now and can't remember. I do know, you don't want to let it boil dry or you'll have a major temp spike. :eek:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":3oy7gxou]
wittdog said:
[quote="The Joker":3oy7gxou]Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!

LOL I do now but back then, I'd drink almost anything. Hell, I even liked Genessee beer back then! :eek:[/quote:3oy7gxou]

Genesse Cream Ale is good stuff!!

Dave if you're using the Weber water pan, it will be several hours (3-4). Make sure you add the hottest water you can in order to prevent heat sinks and prolonged cooking times. If you plan on using water over sand get a Brinkmann charcoal pan and use that as the water pan. It holds twice as much water and most of the time does not need to be refilled during a cook.[/quote:3oy7gxou]

I tossed my old Brinkman pan about 3 *%$# months ago. I might try sand on the next cook. My temp is holding pretty steady at 235*.

The Joker said:
On the water pan question, I'm not sure ~ I haven't used water or sand for years now and can't remember. I do know, you don't want to let it boil dry or you'll have a major temp spike. :eek:

Bill is correct and you can also have a grease fire!! If you notice the water has run dry and you hear sizzling, DO NOT open the lid until you add water or the grease in the pan will flame up.

When I was using water in my pan, I can't remember filling it more than once during a cook. But like Bill and Larry said, don't let it dry up. Also be careful when you add water through the acess door, not spilling any water on the fire.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="The Joker":3p4q6nih]On the water pan question, I'm not sure ~ I haven't used water or sand for years now and can't remember. I do know, you don't want to let it boil dry or you'll have a major temp spike. :eek:

Bill is correct and you can also have a grease fire!! If you notice the water has run dry and you hear sizzling, DO NOT open the lid until you add water or the grease in the pan will flame up.[/quote:3p4q6nih]
Another problem here is, if you add water to that super hot dry water pan, it will boil up fast and I've read where some have had what appeared to be an explosion. Be super careful if you ever run it dry.

I'm used to explosions. 8-[ I'll be carefull not to let the water pan get low. I'm going to cook the chicken now. If I had fired up Buford I would have had room for it. #-o

Back
Top Bottom