Tomorrows cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wittdog said:
I'm used to explosions. 8-[ I'll be carefull not to let the water pan get low. I'm going to cook the chicken now. If I had fired up Buford I would have had room for it. #-o

wittdog, be creative when you load the WSM. It can hold a lot of food. I've done 6 shoulders a couple of times in 1 shot on it.

Thanks Nick I'll have to keep that in mind. I just added water to the WSM, I'm about 3 hrs into the cook. The Butt is holding at 130* and the Brisket is sitting at 160*. Now it's just time to wait. The chicken is almost done for lunch.

:eek: I have a bad feeling that I used to much in way of wood chucks. I added about 6 chucks buried in the charcoal. I’m not seeing that nice colored smoke that I’m accustomed to. It’s a little on the white side for my preference. #-o I’ll keep you informed…………………………..How much wood do you guys typically use and when do you add it? My air temp is still 230 and the meat temps are Brisket 160* and Butts 145*.

Depending on the wood, I usually put in 5 fist sized chuncks...I bury mine all over so I get a consistent supply of smoke for most of the cook. You'll be fine, Wittdog! :(

I use 5-6 good sized hickory chunks for butts, briskets, ribs and about 3-4 for chicken and turkeys.

Greg Rempe said:
Depending on the wood, I usually put in 5 fist sized chuncks...I bury mine all over so I get a consistent supply of smoke for most of the cook. You'll be fine, Wittdog! :(
All right I hope so. I am used to a little more control with Buford as far as the smoke goes. The WSM is on autopilot. Thanks for the reassurance guys. :)

The temp is holding steady at 230*, the butt temp is 154* and brisket is 162*. It's starting to smell good.

The Joker said:
Looks like a good start, Dave. Did you pick that Iron City beer up in Pitt last weekend? Haven't had any of that since I was visiting the Beaver Valley Nuke Power Plant back in the early 80's.. That stuff ain't bad!!
AHHHHHHHHH..that brings back good memories of the last time I visited the Beaver Valley...yer right...it wasn't bad! :!:

Well for some reason my temp took a nose dive. I tapped the legs in the hope that is was ash build up. It seems to have done the trick. I love it when my meat temps start to go backwards. Does this happen to anyone else? My Brisket temp went from 164*-156*.

I've seen the meat temp drop a couple degrees while in the"zone" on occasion but never that far. Probe might be in a fat pocket so repositioning the probe might help. If you go in, PICS!! :(

The Joker said:
I've seen the meat temp drop a couple degrees while in the"zone" on occasion but never that far. Probe might be in a fat pocket so repositioning the probe might help. If you go in, PICS!! :(
I think it was becuase of the temp drop in the WSM. No pics till tomarrow, and that's if she takes them..

wittdog said:
The Joker said:
I think it was becuase of the temp drop in the WSM. No pics till tomarrow, and that's if she takes them..
:-X :-X :-X

The Joker said:

Ditto

I checked my notes from this cook. I was misquoted, the temp drop was only a few degrees not what I had posted. I transposed the numbers from the butts to the brisket. I did manage to snap a quick pic. The butt on the top of the screen was slathered with mustard and was cooking fat cap down the one on the bottom was just rubbed and is cooking fat cap up. The brisket is on the bottom rack.

Back
Top Bottom