Today's Q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
Gonna Q up a whole chicken on Einstein today using Vindaloo Curry powder. Serve it up with some Basmati rice cooked in Chicken broth with diced veggies and homemade Pita Bread.

Pics as we go along.

I cut the backbone out, (spicockSP?), add curry pdr, leave in fridge for a couple of hours. Smoke at 250 over lump for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. Really fairly simple.

DATsBBQ said:
I cut the backbone out, (spicockSP?), add curry pdr, leave in fridge for a couple of hours. Smoke at 250 over lump for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. Really fairly simple.

I'm sure Woodman will jump in here at any time, he hates it when people make spelling errors.

Just put the bird on. Wife made a cucumber salad to go along with it. I'll post the pics I got once the wife get's back to the house. Her new camera, I don't know how to download the pics yet :LOL:

Looks awesome !

Spatchcock
-
(spach'kok") n. a fowl that has been dressed and split open for grilling.
v.t. 1. to prepare and roast (a fowl) in this manner. 2. to insert or interpolate, esp. in a forced or incongruous manner. (Thanks Google).

Dats... in this pic.. http://www.ncre.biz/cook/chickenonEinstein.JPG

..."Dats" pretty cool. 8) never thought of tucking in the legs like that. Any specific reason for anchoring the legs like that? (just curious)

Just tends to keep the bird in more of a "solid" mass. Drumsticks are a little more protected from drying out as the breast has more meat on it. Works for me. :)

DATsBBQ said:
Just put the bird on. Wife made a cucumber salad to go along with it. I'll post the pics I got once the wife get's back to the house. Her new camera, I don't know how to download the pics yet :LOL:

How about the cucumber salad recipe...my MIL makes one with dill and some sort of white dressing thats delish....

Final pics posted. The cumbersalal didn't take to the camera very well :(
Tasted pretty good, but the wet Vindaloo rub I used last time imparted a much stronger flavor that the dry. Then again, there was a lot more it too.

It all looked great Dats! I've done chicken like that on the grill and I put a cookie sheet over the chicken and weigh it down with two bricks. Chicken cooks in about 20 minutes.

Chickenafterrest.JPG

I'm gonna do one of those Spatchcock chickens soon. Looks terrific! :)

--John 8)

It looks great. Does the egg retain a lot of moisture? My Smokin Tex does and the skin never comes out to my satisfaction. Now I do Butts & Beef in the ST and Chicken & Ribs in the Traeger.

Oct_97 wrote:
Does the egg retain a lot of moisture? My Smokin Tex does and the skin never comes out to my satisfaction.

Well the theory is that because the egg does not draw as much air as other smokers to stay at temp that the food is moister. I think alot has to do with the relative humidity of the outside (combustion) air.

To crisp up the skin, I flip the bird breatside down for the last 20 minutes or so. I usually get good results that way.

If I sauce the bird with anything with sugar in it, it don't come out too good.

Back
Top Bottom