Todays cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the best place to buy ribs is Super Target..look for Hormels. Different ribs aint going to make a person cook them right:) The black stuff comes from some nasty crap called Cheery Wood. Chunk it if you got some. Play around with Oak..and Hickory..apple..peach and Pee Can wood and Shells. Now hickory will darken it up a little too but not as bad as Cherry or a dry water pan..grease fire etc,

shootthebunnies said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Did you pay attention to what you did with the ribs? It's easier to compensate next cook if you know where things turned sour on you. How was the taste of the ribs?

The ribs tasted awesome! But you had to eat them with a fork. Everyone took just a little at first thinking the same thing I did "these are going to be bad". Most weren't even done with the first plate before they were up getting more. Flavor outstanding.

I know I overcooked, and over foiled them. This is easy to fix. Usually it's over foiled so that's what I'd cut back on.

The butts turned out great, the sweeter of the two rubs was not as good as the other. Both were a little darker than I thought they should be. But both popped with flavor came apart so easily. For my first cook I was happy!

The ABT's were awesome. Went with Cream cheese, smokies, 3 cheese blend and famous daves rib rub. I only got 1!

My biggest questions are:

1. How do I order ribs from the locker next time so I don't run into the same scenario? Ask for them to be St. Louis cut or just don't cut them.

2. How do I prevent the butts from getting such a dark bark? A very wise man around here invented cooking them naked! Don't put any rub on them until after you cook them and after you pull them. Or try and foil them after they come out of the last plateau.

You guys helped me to a very successful first cook and for that I thank all of you! That's what we do best!

Thanks
Willis

Nick Prochilo said:
shootthebunnies said:
2. How do I prevent the butts from getting such a dark bark? A very wise man around here invented cooking them naked! Don't put any rub on them until after you cook them and after you pull them. Or try and foil them after they come out of the last plateau.

You guys helped me to a very successful first cook and for that I thank all of you! That's what we do best!

Thanks
Willis
If it's that other guy (not the one that invented Everything, the other one)...some of his pictures look like he cooks lots of things naked. My eyes are almost ruined beyond repair. If it's the guy that invented everything, then never mind. The other guy's pictures ruined my eyes anyway.

BOB

Bob In Fla. said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":2zthil17]
shootthebunnies said:

Thanks
Willis
If it's that other guy (not the one that invented Everything, the other one)...some of his pictures look like he cooks lots of things naked. My eyes are almost ruined beyond repair. If it's the guy that invented everything, then never mind. The other guy's pictures ruined my eyes anyway.

BOB[/quote:2zthil17]

Yeah, that's the one!

Wow great news. Hate for anybody to have a Train Wreck from over indulging in brownies etc. Now all we need is the true scoop. Just the fact's Ma'am as our old pal Joe Friday might say. Kindly spit it on out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom